Sunday 27 February 2022

From TamsinP: Senatus Populesque Romanus (90 points)

 The Adventures of Oscar: Time Traveler, Slayer of Squirrels and Very, Very Good Boy

Chapter 9

In which our hero hopes never to return to that nasty jungle...

Row! So where has it brought me this time? It's not the jungle and it's not the desert, so that's good. There's no explosions, so that's very good. It's cold, but not too cold, there's grass and there are trees...hang on, those trees look familiar...aren't they the ones where those hairy, half-naked men chased me?* I rather think they are. Oh, and there were squirrels too! 

I'll sneak up and see if the hairy men have gone. OK, the coast is clear - now to find some of those funny red-brown squirrels to slay! Aha! I see some up that tree...

Row-row-row! Row-row-row! Row-row-row! Row-row-row! Row-row-row!

That's another five that I've slayed! This is sooooo much fun! Hang on - I hear people over there. Best shut up, sneak over and take a look...

Phew! They're not those nasty, chasy, hairy men! Are they all men? Some of them seem to be wearing dresses and holding bent sticks in their hands? And they're pointing at me! Ruh-roh - this could be bad! And they've shot a load of smaller sticks at me! That's definitely bad! Best run off, find some cover and get out of here!

OK, here's a nice bush to hide in. Why is it that whenever I'm having fun slaying squirrels, something happens and I have to run away? I'll try the green button again...


* See Chapter 2


When I started my ancient Germans for "Infamy, Infamy!", I also started a force of Early Imperial Romans, with the intention of eventually expanding it to allow me to field an army for Art de la Guerre. The Infamy force had enough Auxiliary infantry and cavalry for ADLG, however I was short on Legionaries, light-foot archers and light cavalry. To top up the force, I ordered some extras, but that was before the version 4 rules came out - auxiliary infantry can now be taken as heavies rather than just as mediums. I'm still debating whether or not to do some of those. 

"But what is in this post?" I hear you ask.

Legionaries


These four bases of Legionary heavy infantry take me up to nine bases (of a maximum of sixteen). I might add another seven bases at some point to max the list out. Not that I'd ever use that many in a typical game, but it's nice to have the option.




The shield designs were hand-painted, to match my original five bases. I wish that I'd gone for something simpler, but that's life.

Auxilia Sagitarii


Auxiliary archers can be taken as either medium foot or light foot. The list allows a maximum of four bases, of which two can be mediums. I had two of each from my original force, so decided to add two more lights.


"Errrmm, if you only needed two more lights, why are there five bases here?"


Aha! Well, spotted! The simple reason for that is that you can add missile support to Legionary (max 4) and Auxiliary (max 2) bases. 


I still need to do the light cavalry for this army. I have some which might appear later in the Challenge.

All the figures are 15mm from Lancashire Games.


For Scoring

42 x 15mm foot @ 2 = 84 points

Total = 84 points


And that sees me through my original target of 1300 points. Curt - let's raise it to 1700 points!


__________________________

It's nice that Oscar is getting a little change of scenery, though arrows are definitely not the 'sticks' he's come to love. I do like me a Roman (or ten) and these legionnaires and archers look quite fabulous. Such nice and clean brushwork, Tamsin, and those hand-painted shields?! Wow, they look superb. I think a few extra points are in order for those, especially in light that you are increasing your points target to 1700. Well done Ms P!

- Curt


21 comments:

  1. Those hand-painted shields Tamsin- wow! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very neat shields Tamsin, can’t imagine doing this at 15mm and getting such smooth and consistent curves - bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! You just need to thin the paint and take it steady. :)

      Delete
  3. These Romans look great. Good job on the shield designs too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely work Tamsin, great shields, god you must have tons of patience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! Those designs were quite fiddly, but I needed to make them match the original set. :)

      Delete
  5. Good job Tamsin, it is always good to have some options! The rescue operation needs to wait for the next week?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :)

      Yes, the rescue operation begins next week! :)

      Delete
  6. Fantastic work Tamsin, especially on the hand-painted shields. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely looking Romans!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking figures! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. such a great set of Marius' Mules Tamsin, I do lovr the deep blue of the archers!

    ReplyDelete