Monday 7 March 2022

BradS Cleansing the Pallet (155 Points)

 Hello All,

As the challenge gets toward the end it is more and more difficult to carry on. I have always remembered the words of an old miniatures painter I learned a lot from: when you are disinterested and find painting a chore, cleanse the pallet. What he meant by that is to paint something totally out of your usual thing. So for me it was something that wasn't all Greens and Browns! To cleanse my pallet I selected two distinct subjects: Turtles and Teens. Both of these options allowed me to use colors I RARLY use! Furthermore I decided to try and get a cartoony look out of the Scooby Gang, something I have never done before. Both sets of figures are from Pop Minis who provides 3D printable files.

The whole gang! A challenge to paint



Velma and Daphne 


The Turtles - These were a lot of fun to paint and turned out really well.





Back to my normal subject with this GAZ-66 Soviet Truck.
This is a 3D Print in 28mm from the recent bobmack3d kickstarter.


I really really like the look of this vehicle and in a moment you will see how I am using it!

More Syrian Rebel forces. My last post I painted up 10 of these guys and now I have a total of 20!
Perfect for the games I have planned.

These painted up really fast! Just threw on a bunch of browns and greens then gave them a good wash.
I did take the time to outfit a couple of them in cammoflauge.


This guy turned out perfect for the GAZ-66 truck


Combined with my previous trucks I have the start of my own Syrian Mad Max Rebel army.

For this post I really stepped out side by box. The cartoon figures came out ok. The bold colors and no shading did not give me any room to hide. It was a tough job but in the end I learned a lot. On the other hand the turtles really came out nice probably because at the end of the day they are just more green and brown. The Syrians are by bread and butter of what I normally paint.

For the scoring I did:

Scooby Gang: 5 x 28mm Figures = 25 points
TMNT: 4 x 28mm Figures = 20 points
Syrian Rebels: 10 x 28mm Figures = 50 points
GAZ-66 : 1 x 28mm Vehicle = 20 points

I will use Velma to get a ride on Sarah's Star Yacht to the planet Arrakis, My Syrians feel right a home on the desert planet for a bonus 20 points.

Then I will use Daphne to hitch another ride to the planet Corsucant. This is where the Scooby Gang is going to help me out with the classic theme of Good vs Evil for a final bonus of 20 points.

Total Points: 155

A big enthusiastic Ruh Roh on these iconic figures from my daughter' childhood (I'm too old for these series, but would welcome a George of the Jungle or Bullwinkle figure).  Great use of bright primary colours.  Jinkies those are great and certainly get you passage on the Star Yacht to Arrakis.

Your tough, no BS Syrians certainly look the business and bring us back to reality.  Excellent work here as well.






10 comments:

  1. Nice work, Brad! :)

    I made the deliberate choice to intersperse my WW2 Japanese with other stuff to avoid getting bored.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your punchy colours for the Scoobie gang.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sort of wish there was a show where all of the characters from the top of the post encountered all of the characters from the bottom of the post...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Points edit, I think it is 20 points for each trip onto the Star Yacht and have adjusted your points upwards by 40

    ReplyDelete
  5. great post Brad! Love the Scooby gang particularly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice and varied entry. It really shows, how jumping from project to project keeps mind fresh - if jumping from project to project is not a project itself. :)
    You really master different painting styles, joy to watch all this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything about your entry is great but the Scooby Gang is my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking Scooby gang snd green and brown types!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent entry, Brad! I really like the Scooby-Doo gang and the TMNT! nice work!

    ReplyDelete