Monday 7 March 2022

From JamesM: 15mm German Armoured SS-Armoured Cannon Platoon (48 points)

Hi folks,

I've been continuing with my 15mm German half-track project, and this week have six Sd.Kfz. 251/9 Ausf. D vehicles from the 12th 'Heavy' kompanie of III/26. SS Panzergrenadier Regiment, 12SS Panzer Division.

The 'mittlerer Schützenpanzerwagen (7,5 cm)' (Sd. Kfz. 251/9) was created as a supporting vehicle for the mechanised infantry units of the German army and SS in mid 1942. Armed with an 7.5 cm K. 37 L/24 gun (the same 'short' 75mm gun that had been mounted on the early StuG and Panzer IVs, but later designated as 7.5 cm K. 51 (Sf.)), this vehicle lends some heavy direct firepower. In FoW terms, these vehicles are still dangerous to most allied tanks in the Normandy theatre. 

Still, they have negligible armour themselves - and being open topped are particular vulnerable to artillery and mortar fire.  

I've painted the six vehicles which (according to a full order of battle) would be assigned to the heavy support company of the battalion. For this, the hull numbers 443-448 have been used. 




Painting wise, I went with the same recipe as my other half-tracks. I used the Skytrex decals for the side and rear hull numbers, as the smaller ones I had used for this previously from Doms Decals didn't cover the number range I required. License plates and division symbol were also added. 

Foliage was added using seafoam 'branches' and leaf flock. Basing has been done to the same style as the rest of my 15mm Normandy collection. I focussed this on the front of the vehicles, where foliage might have been added to camouflage the vehicle in a hedge or treeline. 

For camo on these, I kept similar colours to those used before, but in a different camo pattern. I'm afraid I don't have the skills currently to airbrush, so the camo pattern is a little heavier and harder edged that I would have liked. However, at tabletop distances it will work. 

A close up of some of the unit

These models are 15mm Plastic Soldier Company kits (PSC) with the PSC upgrade sprue used to convert them into the 251/9 versions. Crew will be painted and added at a later date. 

This units completion leaves 12 more vehicles to finish on my planned Order of Battle (with 34 half-tracks or associated vehicles painted since November). 

Points wise, 6 x 15mm vehicles (8 points each) = 48 points. 

Lovely little half tracks James, it's nice to see these support vehicles with the 75mm gun.  As you say, they pack a punch but can't take any in return.  The decals, came and accoutrements look really good.  Well done.


7 comments:

  1. that is a great looking camo scheme indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire anyone that can paint camo, especially that well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super little people movers and really great basing (as well as smart camo work) -- still struggling with the airbrush myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice close supports, James! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work on the camouflage James!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice camouflage and basework, James!

    ReplyDelete