Monday 7 March 2022

From PeteF: Ice Elemental Horde (55 points)




Winter is Coming!

These are Ice Elementals from Mantic Games, based for Kings Of War - the, er, King of Rank and Flank massed fantasy battle games. Ice Elementals fight for the faction known as the Northern Alliance, a confederation of multiple races from the frozen North.

My Northern Alliance army is growing very slowly, this being its first finished unit. Quite a few more units are in the queue, but this is the only one that will be completed for Challenge XII. 

The Kings of War US Masters is coming to my neck of the woods (The Pacific Northwest) this year and I'm hoping to qualify for our team of 8 players - we don't have the best record in "Battle"(ie skill at playing the game) but we are (I hope) known for enjoying a friendly brew.

One of the drawbacks of Mantic's Northeren Alliance range is the lack of variation in the poses of some of the models - out of the box the Ice Elemental has only one pose - a friend 3D printed an ice elemental for me and I used its arms to do some minor conversions to break up the monotony. The paint job is a bit basic - I tried a few things and this blue with heavy drybrush looked OK to me.

The models are 50mm tall - I'm calling them 40mm for scoring. Going to try and finish the inner ring this week...

5x7 (40mm foot) = 35 points plus 20 point bonus for Gethen = 55 points  

+1 Squirrel (Total 7)

+0 Skulz (Total 1)

Nice work on these Ice Elementals, loving the icy blue tones.  Regina has been in the deep freeze this winter with tons of snow (I am running out of room to put it).  Therefore I will be more than happy if these things stay in your neck of the woods.

7 comments:

  1. Great looking ice elementals!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. they look awesome Pete, have you tried applying a gloss varnish? It might add to the frostiness even more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah-ha! Pete is to blame for the frigid march! Unleashing ice elementals! 🧊 well, better than the sand and heat I was in last year!
    Nice work on them though, Pete!

    ReplyDelete