Monday 7 March 2022

From Mike W - Egyptian Undead Adventures - Odds & Ends(57.5 Points, 2 x Squirrel)

Here is another selection of the various items I have been working on for the Egyptian Undead Adventures side show that I have continued to work on over the last few weeks, hopefully they are of interest.

More Arab Cultists, this time based upon Gripping Beast's Arab Infantry Set

Firstly more Arab Cultists, after the success of last week's batch I found three Gripping Beast chaps on the sprue and so pressed them into the Cult! The guy firing the Jezail is a Gripping Beast figure with a Perrys' Afghan Jezail and arms added, I had to cut and fill the right shoulder to make the changes fit well.

The guy on the right looks a bit like a Grimsby Trawlerman's Wife in a headscarf - but that 's still scary enough!

The guy with the sword has Perry Afghan arms added, plus some trailing head dress parts, whilst the guy carrying the Jezail has Peery Afghan arms again and a spare head form an hooded Oathmark Human, again with trailing head dress parts added. 

Alongside the Gripping Beast Recruits, I also found 3 x Wargames Atlantic Afghan figures to add to the recruit list. These figures are ever so slightly smaller that the gripping Beast figures but not so much that they look out of place. 

Three more (Wargames Atlantic) Arab Cultists

I have kept the same look and feel for these figures but opted to arm one with a modern German rifle and one with a Luger pistol, courtesy of the Warlord Games Afrika Korps set (see below). The other is stuck with just a sword

That's a total of sixteen Cultists

All were painted and based in exactly the same way as last week's figures, I've claimed 1 Squirrel Point for these 28mm Arab Cultists - as I forgot to label the previous post as such and want to keep within the Squirrel rules

Next a is a group of 6 x Afrika Korps soldiers who every knows are only in Egypt to find the Lost Ark of the Covenant, or such like! These are really test pieces as I'll build up a small force of figures that can be used in various scenarios as they come along.

Test Group of Afrika Korps, extreme left is a Perry figure, the rest are Warlord Games

As such I'd acquired a sprue of Afrika Korps figures from both Perry Miniatures and Warlord Games to compare and contrast - and hopefully allow for some kit bashing to make some unique one off figures.

Close-up of three figures, I like the action poses and the selection of heads that can be used.
Left hand and right hand guys both have cigarettes in their mouths!

Both sprues have a wide range of options but I was almost immediately drawn to the Warlord Games sprue in preference to the Perry's one. The figures were simply more dynamic in my opinion and they were noticeably larger that the Perry versions.

Prone Machine Gunner, counting half points!

What's more the Warlord Games figures are comparable in size to the Arab Cultists above, its a shame as the Perry figures are really nice but due to their smaller size not really useable for Kit Bashing!

That said I have painted up one Perry figure to show and photograph to allow all here to compare sizes etc.

All figures were undercoated white and then I used Citadel 'Tallarn Sand' for most of the uniforms, historically the Afrika Korps used a green uniform that faded quickly in the sun so I have made a nod to this by giving one of the figures a green jacket and making all soft caps green. For this I used Foundry 'Phlegm Green'.


Direct comparison of Warlord Games )right) and Perry Miniatures (Left) crouching figures.
By being smaller the Perry figures are more fiddley to build and accessories can't easily be swapped between sets.

Straps, Weapons and equipment were coloured according to historical schemes I found illustrated online, I did the helmets in Citadel 'Bubonic Brown'. I used an Army Painter 'Dark Tone' ink wash on the weapons, helmets, boots and equipment packs on their backs, whilst I washed the uniforms in Army Painter 'Light Brown'.

I then gave the figures a dry light brush of Tallern Sand to highlight the uniforms and help tone down the base green used. Matt varnish was applied to all figures and then based with fine sand and dried grass & stone tufts.

1 Squirrel Point claimed for 28mm Afrika Korps! total Squirrel points is now 15, subject to the judge's approval.

POINTS

6 x 28mm Arab Cultists       = 30 Points,  1 x Squirrel

5.5 x 28mm Afrika Korps    = 27.5 Points,  1 x Squirrel

TOTAL                                  = 57.5 Points plus 2 x Squirrels


You know Mike, you'd have a better chance of finishing projects if you didn't start 35 of hem at the same time!  Anyway this is a pleasant diversion and I'm enjoying how this all unfolds.  Are any of these figure actually Undead?  From what I can tell, both the cultists and the DAK seem to be this side of the grave.

8 comments:

  1. Great looking pulp figures!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. No undead here! I painted almost all my Egyptian undead in last year's challenge

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, Mike! Squirrel competition is tense!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does look like an Indiana Jones movie in the making! Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look awesome, Mike! I really like your Germans! It may be nostalgia as my first toy soldiers were the Airfix Afrika Korps and Desert Rats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work, Mike, I like the DAK.

    ReplyDelete