Monday 7 March 2022

From Curt: Ottoman Laylar Fanatic Infantry at The Great Siege of Malta, 1565 (105 Points)


For the past few Challenges I've tried to make an effort to add a new unit for my Great Siege of Malta project. This time round I thought I'd add some more fellas to the Ottoman mosh pit with some Iaylar fanatics.

From what I understand, the Iaylars were a large, irregular force of religious fanatics which the Ottomans used as expendable shock troops. They were typically thrown in the the initial assaults to soak up missile fire, disrupt defensive lines, and generally pave the way for the more high-value troops.

It's rumoured that the Iaylars regularly used hashish to help put themselves into a religious frenzy before flinging themselves into the assault. I like to think that perhaps their imams stoked them up by telling them that the defenders held vast stores of Cheetos and Mountain Dew behind the lines. I figure that after a good hookah pipe, there's nothing like the prospect of a big munchie run to get your blood up. :)



These 28mm models are from Old Glory and fit the Iaylar bill quite nicely. They actually didn't look like much when fresh out of the packaging, but as with many OG models, they paint up wonderfully and look great in a mob. In order to give them a little more variation I bent a few limbs, drilled out some fists to add some hand-painted banners, and played around with their skin tones to reflect the wide variety of ethnicities which would have made up the ranks.


I've been quite taken with AlanD's wonderful 3,2,1 basing for his ECW Covenanters, so I thought I'd do something similar with these lads. This mob will give me two groups of 12 figures (plus one hanger-on) for any future 'Pikemans' Lament' scenarios. I hope to double the numbers for this contingent as I feel the Ottomans should have a schwack of cannon fodder, er, enthusiastic recruits willing to spread the word that Suleiman is rather Magnificent.


Points? Let's see, four of these mooks were done pre-Challenge as 'proof-of-concept' (as if you need such a thing for religious fanatics these days), so that puts it at 21 models for 105 points. This should also provide me another Squirrel Point and count as my 'O' (for Ottomans) in my Alphabet Soup Challenge.


Finally, this group will allow me to check off another subject on my ridiculously unrealistic Challenge Project List. Still, seven out of twelve isn't too bad.  Okay, you're right, it's pretty bad.

1. French Indochina
2. 10mm Fantasy
3. Moonstone
4. Malta
5. Italian Wars
6. Sisters of Battle
7. 28mm Napoleonics
8. Spanish Civil War
9. 28mm Modern
10. 20mm WWII
11. Retreat from Moscow
12. Dungeon Crawl


I think I have a few more posts left in the tank before the end of the Challenge, but we'll see what I can manage. Wish me luck!

Thanks for dropping in for a look. Have a great week!

- Curt
Always great too get a chance to vet the Snowlord's work and no disappointments here at all, these are wonderful (of course).  Love the movement in the figures and those flags.  And they look amazing ranked up against those ruined walls.

I agree with a lot of what you said about OG figures.  One can get sucked in by large bags at a good price and then get disappointed on opening the bag and looking closely at the figures.  But they do tend to paint up well and the end product in this case looks excellent.

22 comments:

  1. Splendid looking bunch of semi clad fanatics, old glory do paint up well and these are no exception!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful additions to this project, Curt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing work dude, I just love this project, and it's great to see you adding a few more elements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dude. I look forward to the day when I can host you to a game with them.

      Delete
  4. Thanks again Peter for letting me slip in with your Monday crew. I hope we can get some Pikeman's Lament games on the schedule this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not being familiar with this project at all, I went back and looked at your earlier Challenge entries, as well. Very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Natasha. This project has been a long and winding road, for sure.

      Delete
  6. Old Glory figures can be a bit so so, but your brush and conversion work have lifted them to a different level. I do like the colourful banners and how they contrast with the muter off whites and flesh colours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sander. Yes, they definitely improve after being painted and based up.

      Delete
  7. It is surprisingly easy to get distracted and not accomplish all goals, when participating Squirrel Challenge, Challenge Quadrant, Alphasoup and predefined project list - even though they overlap here and there. :)
    Very nice additions to your project, another similar group should beef up this rather nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teemu! I have to say I've been really enjoying all the various Challenge targets and distractions. They are the spice of the hobby!

      Delete
  8. Great bunch of minis Curt! Never knew that the Ottoman's used a force like that as well. I always kind of took them as a more organized force! Then again I guess directing the nutjobs against a common enemy is far preferable to having them cause havoc internally!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Samuli. Yeah, they were kinda new to me too until I did a bit more reading. Had to laugh at your, 'Directing the nutjobs against a common enemy is far more preferable to having them cause havoc internally' A perfect quote that could also be used for Pope Urban II initiating the Crusades. :)

      Delete
  9. Great looking paintwork there dude! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Talk about a dirty,hairy horde! Nice work Curt! I love the banners and those figures are well done. Those fellows need a bath and a meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do look rather malodorous don't they? :)

      Delete
  11. L E Y L A R Laylar

    I met her in a club down in old Soho

    Nice work on the OGs, Curt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn you Barks, I’ve been strumming those opening chords in my brain all day.

      Delete