Friday 11 March 2022

From MartijnN: From Cybertron to Lady Sarah's Star Yacht (70 points)

Last week I mentioned that I had not had a clue what to paint for Cybertron. However, on closer inspection I think I have found a figure fitting its theme of "transformative". So, I present to you the impographer!


Impography (or iconography) is sort of the intermediate technology between traditional (portrait ) painting, on canvas or otherwise, and the even more advanced science of photography. Through the almost magical power of impography, it first became possible to capture an event as soon as it occurred, rather than having to paint it afterwards from memory or rough sketches. Very much a transformative technology, therefore, propelling both art and journalism into a new age. We see here a famous impographer with his very talented imp.


A wealthy merchant is offering him a handsome sum to have his portrait imped.


These are both 3d printed figures from Iain Lovecraft's The Frost (I think the merchant bears more than a passing resemblance to Iain himself). What I particularly like about Iain's projects is that he explicitly asks his supporters to suggest figures or models for the stretch goals for his Kickstarter projects. The Frost was a project with something of a Terry Pratchett inspiration to it (in the unlikely event you have not come across Pratchett before I highly recommend checking him out) and I suggested a figure making (moving) pictures. As a result, Iain came up with this fantastic Impographer!

Obviously, impographers can also record landscape impographies. Luckily, I was also able to finish the slopes of The Lonely Mountain from my Battle of Five Armies set. These can be joined in two ways, and with the two pieces of a second set can make up a large hill. I think the hill came out nicely.

 




Leaving Cyberton for Arrakis I rather would use Lady Sarah's excellent Yacht service to get me there rather than planet hop again. I offer this old lady as my fare:



Once again a 3d printed figure and once again designed by Iain Lovecraft. A very simple model but still rather characteristic I think.

So here we are. The figures as printed are nearly 40mm, but I will claim them as 28mm. I will however claim the impograph as a figure as well,  rather than as a crew served weapon or suchlike. The two pieces of the hill are 8" by 15" and 2" at the highest point, perhaps just under 1" on average. I'd suggest half a standard terrain cube for 10 points?

So 4x 28mm foot = 20 points

Hills = 10 points

Cybertron planet bonus = 20 points

Lady Sarah's Star Yacht = 20 points

For a total of 70 points. Just short of a squirrel, alas. On to Arrakis!

From DaveD 
I like that interpretation all right . The bright colours somehow seem just right . A good job on the hill to. 70 it is 

9 comments:

  1. Very nice Pratchettism, Martijn! Lovely miniatures and very well painted. The hill looks great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely stuff, Martijn! Nice, bright colours on the impography group. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great figures, love the imp! I also really like the little old lady.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look great. The colours really pop

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous interpretation of the transformative theme. Your choice of figures is wonderful and your painting is even better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely range of figures and great looking hill!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. As Teemu states, iconography by means of imps is distinctly Pratchettian and I was not aware of the existence of these figures so thanks for that! The painting, as ever, is top notch Martijn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good work! Those are useful and sturdy hills.

    ReplyDelete