Sunday 20 March 2022

From PeteF: Old School Minifigs at The Center of the Universe (140 points)

 


Challenge XII has taken me in a lot of different directions, distracting from my Quatres Bras project. For people that do not know the story of my 25mm Napoleonic Minifig collection - my Dad painted most of Wellington's Anglo Allied Army on a scale of 25:1 - around 2 or 3 thousand models - not yet counted. My brother and I had a few French units and my brother inherited the army. When he passed away it unexpectedly came to me and I've been adding to the French contingent (as well as starting on the Prussians) ever since. In Challenge XI I finished several units - leaving only a handful to complete to be able to host Quatres Bras.

These are classic Minifigs from the late 1970s and 1980s. I keep an eye on E-Bay and Facebook market place in case anyone is selling them cheap and top up units with orders from Calivers Books. For Quatres Bras all I need to buy are a few French Lancers - other than the Lancers all that is left to paint are three infantry battalions. The end is in sight. Sort of - after Quatres Bras I'll get started on D'Erlons Corps and add to the Imperial Guard!


The old school look of these sculpts speaks to me and reminds me of wargaming in my teens with my brother and best friend. It's always a pleasure to paint (or sometimes repaint) these warriors from a bygone age.

Even more fun will be getting them all together for a bloody big battle in the garage - or the barn.

My nephew is visiting from the UK this weekend. The downside is that this will be my last post of the Challenge and a little shy of my 1,000 point target. The upside is that he's bringing the last third of Wellington's army that has spent the COVID years in shoe boxes waiting for a chance to cross the herring pond.

24 x 25mm figures for 120 points + 20 points for the final challenge = 140 points

+1 Squirrel (Total 8 - with another 6 partially completed squirrel points, which feels like it's in the spirit of squirrel chasing)

+0 Skulz (Total 3 - Underperformed here - I have 2 walls of skulls and a regiment of skellies on the bench. Oh well - there's always Challenge XIII?)

_______________________________________

Ahhh, I was wondering when we'd see your return to this project, Pete. I'm glad that I get to shepherd this post through in our final hours of the Challenge. I've always had a soft spot for the project not only because that the figures, period and painting are wonderful, but also because I appreciate the history and sentiment behind the endeavour as well. I look forward to the day when you can treat us all to photos of the epic game, where all of the collection is arrayed for battle - it will be epic!

You shorted yourself a few points for reaching the Center of the Universe, and in fact, with the little-known 'Minifig Napoleonic Bonus' this post should just put you over your target. Congratulations, sir! :)

Until next year, Mr. Fry. 

- Curt


8 comments:

  1. Brilliant Pete - I have such a soft spot for Minifigs Napoleonics and they always look good whether in 25mm like these or 15mm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work, Pete, and great to see some more of this project appearing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work Pete, those do look very nice. Those classic toy soldier Minifigs are dated but still paint up nicely when someone applies the right mix of technique and love. Great to see you meet your final challenge and hit your points target.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very colourful. The figures may be old School but the basing is contemporary- the two look great together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have really dragged these figures into the 21st century by your awesome painting Pete!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beuatiful, following this progress over Challenges. Brushwork is great, but the stories behind these minis makes them larger than life. Appropriate end to the Challenge, which will no doubt continue next year. :)

    ReplyDelete