Sunday 20 March 2022

From TamsinP: Operation Rescue Oscar Part 4 [Vast array of photos!](194 points)

 Extract from the Journal of TamsinP: Time Traveler, Society Girl and Adventuress


"Nice driving - you seem to have parked us on a pedestrian plaza!"

"You can hardly blame me - you're the one who set the device!"

"Fair comment! OK, let's get out and take a look around."

"Ahhh! We seem to be in those Gerry Anderson outfits still. You may be right about this being a fictional future."

"Our ride's changed though - look at the lines on this baby!"

"Wow! That is sweet!" OK, let's look around - Oscar might still be here."


"Are they...?"


"Judges! And they don't look happy to see us!"


"They definitely do not look happy to see us. Scarper?"

"Most assuredly!"



"Quick - get it started while I sort the device!"



"That was definitely a time-travel device!" 
"No, no, no! It was definitely a Psionic event!"

We return to the starship wreckage.

"That was definitely a close call. You were right about it being Mega City One."

"Yes, so the devices are taking us, and Oscar, into fictional futures. Maybe that explains how a dog was able to write a message here."

"That is rather disappointing if true - maybe he'll be able to write when we get him back home?"

I allow Curt to entertain such thoughts while I scan the instruments. 

"Hmmm, another new event, more recent. We must be closing in on him."

"Really? You mean we might finally find him and be able to take him back home?"

"Hopefully!"

I check the time and location and spit with disbelief. It can't be. Not there and then. Please not there and then! My mind drifts back to my previous time traveling foray...

"Well, where and when is this new event?"

"OK. Now, I really hope this isn't where I think it is. It's saying 'Cross Plains, Texas(?) 1933(?)'."

"What's so bad about that? And why the parenthesised question marks?"

"I think the parentheses indicate 'not quite what you think'. As for what's bad about it, you recall my previous excursion a couple of years back?"

"Why, yes, I think so."

"When I ended up in Robert E Howard's homoerotic dreams* of half-naked barbarians?"

"Oh! Yes, well, I see why you might be reluctant to go back there."

"Nonetheless, go there we must."

I program the device and hit the button. The rift opens and Curt drives through...


*for reference see:

Link 1

Link 2



Silliness over for this post.


There are a lot of photos coming up. Grab yourself a cuppa!


The Rescue Team's New Wheels





This is a 28mm resin model from the Antenociti's Workshop "Cyberpunk" range. 



The Judges


Mechanismo





Psi Judge and Judge in Rad-Cloak





Med Judge and Tek Judge






SJS (Special Judicial Squad) Judge Alex Gerhart




I also painted the biker version of him:

Drat - should have gone in closer so Barks could see the skull on the helmet!



Cadet Judge




I didn't paint the biker version of the cadet because somewhere along the way I lost his right arm.

I also had three "Wally Squad" Judges prepped but ran out of time for painting them. I also didn't have time to paint the two Lawmaster bikes:

Jack Point, Aimee Nixon, Dirty Frank


The figures are all from Warlord Games "Judge Dredd" range. They are 35mm, which has been counted as 40mm for scoring in the past. The Cadet is smaller, so I'll claim him as 28mm.


The Terrain


You may recall that several weeks ago I included a photo of a pile of assembled MDF terrain. Well, most of it has been painted.

In case you're wondering about the lighting I used for the photos in this post and the previous one, it was done with some of these:



The Plaza



I really wish I'd just left the benches as plain red, rather than adding the metal detailing - that took about two hours work to do!


The Shopping Centre











Pre-Fab Hab Pods






Pre-Fab Chem Lab





Oops! Forgot to paint the wall-mounted thingies on the inside!


Pre-Fab Hab Blocks


I really wish I hadn't added the  red/silver pieces - they were a right royal paint to paint!







Accessories







The Various Roof Pieces



This terrain was a "White Box Bundle" from TT Combat which I bought at last year's SELWG show. I have my suspicions that some of the kits were early prototypes as there were parts missing from the sprues, parts included which don't seem to belong to anything, one base piece that was the wrong size (easily fixed with a bit of filing and sanding) and some etching which seemed to be misaligned. I might buy some more of the pre-fab units at some point.

Here's a photo of everything stacked:


The stack measures 22" x 7.5" x 8" = 1320 cubic inches, which comes our at 6.111111 terrain cubes. Call it 6 cubes for scoring. I think I spent 2 days priming, 2 days airbrushing the main colours and three days painting the details.




For Scoring

6 x terrain cube @ 20 = 120 points
1 x 28mm vehicle @ 20 = 20 points
7 x 40mm foot @ 7 = 49 points
1 x 28mm foot @ 5 = 5 points

Total = 194 points

...and that should see me sail past my upgraded target of 1700 points!

ps - I do not, repeat *not* apologise for the very garish colour scheme on these buildings!


Drokking nice judges! They look like they mean business. And justice. The car is wonderful as well, with the colour, panel lines, and especially the glass. The standout is your terrain- no apology required! The colours are vibrant and yet oppressive, and the LEDs are a pro touch. If you touch up the interior detail, I wonder if painting the windowsills will make a difference as well.

Barks

PS the skull has been noted!


19 comments:

  1. Wow, those lights will be burned into my retinas for a while! More wonderful work and wacky tales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Imagine how my eyes were taking the photos! :)

      Delete
  2. Excellent work, that terrain is absolutely spot on for JD and is just how I imagined the buildings would have looked given most of the strips were B&W when I was reading them. 80,s chic and no mistake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! How MC1 looks does depend very much on the artist. I imagined this as being a "posher" area - I've previously done some terrain for a more rundown area. :)

      Delete
  3. The Mega City terrain is crazy cool! The LED lights are a nifty touch.
    But, seriously I’m on tenterhooks waiting for the successful rescue & safe return of Oscar and his intrepid rescuers ….

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The LEDs were only put inside for the photos. As for Oscar - there are two more tales to come! :)

      Delete
  4. I actually quite like the garish colour scheme. Firstly, it looks very 'comic book' which fits perfectly with the nature of the Judge Dred figures and secondly it is a nice contrast to the dystopic, dark, dismal setting we envision the future to be. Great work all around

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! I'm glad I went with the garishness in the end - my original plan was for a more utilitarian grey-ish look, but that would have been boring (but easier to do). :)

      Delete
  5. Absolutely terrific Tamsin! Everything about this is great! I love the colours, the lighting, the figures - everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. While the car and those Judges are brilliant it's the scenery that really is the star of this post well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! I had fun painting it, despite the fiddly repetitiveness of some details! :)

      Delete
  7. @ Barks - thanks! I was lucky that I remembered how to do the car window effect from when I painted a load of other cars back during the Quarantine Challenge. I probably will go back and do the window sills at some point, but might leave those interior bits as they'll hardly ever be seen by anyone other than me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not my usual cuppa I've gotta admit, but these are really the dogs bolox Tamsin!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, such an amazing post. Like many have commented, I quite like the garish colour scheme you've done for MC1. What is your recipe for the car windows. It looks very sharp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :)

      I did the windows as follows:
      1. Protective coat of gloss varnish all over
      2. Black out the windows (I did that with the airbrush)
      Using airbrush -
      3. Spray the wider reflection area using a mix of VMA Black with a little VGA Alien Purple (maybe 3:1)
      4. Add a more focused area of highlight using 3:1 VGA Alien Purple and White
      5. Add the highest highlight using 1:3 mix of above.
      6. Glaze over with black or the first black/purple mix if it looks to stark or needs blending.
      7, Finish with gloss varnish.

      Delete
  10. Good looking Mega City 1! Lots of bright and contrasting colours, nice change for quite usual and utilitarian gray. Let's see how the story goes, I hope for happy end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! Funnily enough, my original plan was to go with a utilitarian grey look - I'm glad I didn't! :)

      Delete