Saturday 5 March 2022

From PeterB - Squirrels! (No not those squirrels) - 55 Points

Nope, I'm not squirrelling in on the Squirrel challenge (How many times do I type squirrel before it starts to look weird and spelt wrong?) I actually painted some squirrels.

A kind friend did some 3D printing for me the other day and when he dropped off the models, he had also added these cute little squirrels.

Of course I had to paint them as red squirrels, those underdogs of the British Isle, who unfortunately are bullied by their larger cousins, the Greys.

They were great fun to paint and an excuse to try out my new wet pallette that Mrs B got me for Christmas. I can heartily recommend getting one, it meant I could mix up various shades of orange safe in the knowledge that over the week they were still usable even today. I did try a bit of Zenithal priming with darker greys on the undercoat for shadows. It is more apparant in real life than the photos I think.

Also this week I have made a start on a Victrix plastic box set. I have only built the archers so far from the unarmoured hoplites set.


As I already have some Vikings I am now building up a Greek force to try out Of God's and Monsters, from Osprey.

I've just got to decide on a suitable Greek hero now.

So simple points, 11 models at 28mm 

55 points.

From Millsy:

Whilst I think you've done a great job with the Greeks in this submission Peter,
I have to say the squirrels really do it for me.

I've always suspected that Alvin and the Chipmunks were just a rubbish cover band and now we have conclusive proof :-P Great work on the fur and especially their faces!

55 points it is mate. Looking forward to your next squirrel effort, whatever for it takes.

11 comments:

  1. Folk rock squirrels? Whatever next?

    Nice work on those rats-with-good-PR and the Greek archers! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin. It's the fluffy tails isn't it? They could get away with anything.

      Delete
    2. I guess next we have weresquirrels...

      Delete
  2. Nice archers Peter. Good luck with choosing a Greek hero. The squirrels are aces!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can't go wrong with some decent squirls right? Great painting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice squirrels and Greeks! Only two more squirrels and you get a squirrel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the squirrel band! Great archers too


    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, love the squirrel acoustic trio.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Squirrel always looks weird and spelt wrong. :D
    Great work on both the Squirrels and the Greeks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking squirrels and archers!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete