Saturday 5 March 2022

From TeemuL: Gotrek Gurnisson [Krypton] (27 points)

After a wild ride we found ourselves again from the Inner Ring on the planet Krypton, where we find some "friendly" company (friendly meaning non-hostile). A superhero of his universe, Gotrek Gurnisson, oath-sworn Slayer seeking his glorious death. Well, after a bit of grumble we continue our way to the center of the Quadrant...


We have seen some imaginative offerings on the Krypton, so I'll continue with the flow. Gotrek Gurnisson is your superhero today, a grumpy dwarf, who has shamed himself and his house, is trying to settle things by seeking a glorious death, but so far he has failed. The World that Was is destroyed, aeons have passed and he still is not dead. He has faced skavens, vampires, trolls, dragons and all kind of nasty creatures, he has cursed gods, because they won't allow him to die and he is still going strong currently in the Mortal Realms.


He has no superpowers as such, nor fancy gadgets, just strength, thick skull and favour(?) of gods. He wears just pants and holds a mighty axe. If those blue pants were spandex, he would fit better in the superhero genre...


There were two possibilities for the base in the box, either this bigger pile of trash for display or a smaller one for gaming. I went for the bigger one, since I don't feel I'll be using him in any games and if I do, the bigger base will work out. In the end the miniature is not that display level, rather quick and easy paint job, but it will do. I kept the base rather dark, muted and colourless to keep the attention on the mini itself, that's why lots of brown wood and brown skavens with dark metal and just red clothes, paint and eyes. I kind of like how much of the wood and skaven skin come out, basically just several layers of different drybrushes.


I gave the axe some golden details, since it is a very special axe. The ancestral heads are golden, too. I skipped the blue tattoos, which he should have, since I'm not that good with that kind of painting. I like the clean and simple output better. The hair and beard should have been more fiery orange, deeper and darker, but I wasn't able to do that. Looks ok in the pictures, though. Quite a lot of complaints of the mini from me, but yes, it is done now and time to move on. :)


After completing 4 planets on Outer and Middle Rings, 5 on Inner Ring and several stops at Sarah's Star Yacht, I'm ready to take the Challenge XII Challenge! Oh Great Inspiring Minion Patreon (GIMP for short), servant of Snowlord, what do you ask?


A single 28mm miniature for 5 points and 20 for planet Krypton. No skulls, Gotrek doesn't stay on one place that long...

From Millsy:

Gotrek Gurnisson is a long time favourite of mine in terms of Warhammer lore,
I think partly because as you say Teemu, he makes do with just his weapons, muscles and wits. Often when GW reimagine one of their character minis they lose something of the original character but I feel that here. If anything they've reinforced his reputation by perching him atop a pile of broken equipment and vanquished foes.

I really like how you've painted him mate, especially his enormous axe and the base. Given there is so much going on there I've awarded a couple of extra points to bring your total to 27. Top work!

In terms of a personal task for the Quadrant Hub, I'd love to see some more Sludge-themed material. I've really enjoyed your kitbashing and backstory so far, so it would be great to have another instalment!

21 comments:

  1. I have a real soft spot for Gotrek as I read the original books when they first came out! It’s a shame he doesn’t come packaged with Felix anymore. You’ve done a grand job on him, the bigger base was a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Gotrek stories, too. I guess part of the magic is that he is seeking something and never gets it. He is grumpy and unfriendly, not a polished hero. He has some deapth. The current side kick, dark elf assassin, is ok companion, but I haven't read everything.

      Delete
  2. That's a great figure, well done Teemu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was bit unsure how I manage to paint such an iconic hero, but I think I got it all right.

      Delete
  3. Great job, as I can attest orange can be a tricky colour to paint with, so we'll done on a good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter! Orange is tricky, especially on natural surface like hair or beard. Gets quickly brownish or reddish. Orange tank would be easier, I think. :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you Millsy! Challenge accepted. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work, Teemu! With that hair and beard, if his blue pants were spandex he could be in an 80s metal band instead of (or as well as) being a superhero. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true! Spandex, chains and naked skin with great beard and mohawk hair sounds more like 80s than superhero. But of course there are different kinds of superheroes, like late Lemmy Kilmister or Ronnie James Dio. :)

      Delete
  6. I’m not familiar with the lore, however the painting on your figure is terrific! Not all superheroes wear spandex!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotrek stories are very much on the better end of the Warhammer lore and the first ones are short stories, so easy to try.

      Delete
  7. Just like Millsy, I do like Gotrek for as long as I have been gaming WFB (I think about 24 years now?) and yours is a very good version of this larger than life character, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sander! I have some of the older unread stories on my to-read pile, some I have read twice.

      Delete
  8. Nice work on this guy. Dude must use some serious hair products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter! I have a vaque memory that his hair product is mentioned somewhere in the stories. Probably lots of grease...

      Delete
  9. I love your Gotrek, Teemu! Fabulous brushwork. I do miss Felix though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Curt! I'd give a lot for those metal minis of Gotrek and Felix.

      Delete
  10. Splendid looking Gotrek,really enjoyed the stories in WD and when they came out in book form,I like the pile of debris too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain! I read the first stories in the WD, too.

      Delete
  11. What a cool mini and base!

    ReplyDelete