Saturday 5 March 2022

From ScottM: Noel's Comet - Samurai Characters (40 pts)

Been a bit of a slow month for me, but I'll hopefully get a few more figs done before the end. As I venture further into the system, I end up at Noel's Comet. I didn't really have a wide selection of figs in my unpainted pile that actually fit into this category, so my choice might be a bit off. For this stop I went with a pack of Samurai Heroes. These are 28mm metal figs from Kingsford Miniatures.

For the actual location I've got a Not-Lone Wolf and Cub. I've embarrassingly never actually read the stories, but if it's about some lone samurai roving around with a kid in a cart, it should involve some sort of friendship.



There's two other characters in the pack: Not-Yojimbo and Not-Zatoichi.



And now for the story. My friend and I have known each other since high school (we're 50/51 now). A few decades ago there was a bar in town (it's still there - the old Boston Pizza lounge), that we would frequent. Well, there was a stretch where we would go every night. We'd end up spending all evening there till almost closing time. We went there so often, that we knew all the staff, they knew us and when they'd see us drive up, by the time we got in the door and sat down, our drinks (Big Rock Grasshopper for me, Rickard's Red for him) would be sitting there waiting. We'd usually just spend the evening watching the TV and having a few pints. We wouldn't say much to each other, just sit, enjoy our drinks and each others' company. The end of the evening would roll around and we'd get ready to head home (usually it was me driving), so I'd head off to take care of an excess liquid problem and ask him to grab the tab. And it would never fail that I'd come back and sure enough he's ordered another round to go with the bill. Argh! Good times, although my bank account wasn't having a good time.

We're still great friends, he lives a couple blocks away and we hang out regularly (for some reason his wife is able to tolerate me). Might even end up there tonight for some beverages.

So that should be:
  • 4 - 28mm figs = 20 points
  • 1 location (Noel's Comet) = 20 points
Total = 40 points

And now the mad scramble as the end nears!

From Millsy:

That's a great story Scott. I have a mate who I've known for a similar amount of time (I'm 52) so I totally get the amount of history there, especially the ability to just sit in companionable silence.

I really like your colour choices for these dudes, that blue-grey is really eye catching and goes really well with the hair and leggings. Nice work all round.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great friend! Lovely figures too, Scott! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marvelous take on some classic samurai characters. The simple colours work very well and all the details really pop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve also maintained friendships from high school and they really are wonderful (I’m 51) We try to get together for a zoom cocktail party every other month. Your figures are great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good looking minis, I like the colours you have chosen. Very nice and relatable story, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some great figures Scott and the story is even better as it is so recognisable, bottoms up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice story, great looking figures!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great set of figures! Lone Wolf is an incredible fighter.

    ReplyDelete