Saturday 5 March 2022

From TeemuL: The Last Sludge (70 points)

Here you are Millsy, if these are worthy of the Challenge, so be it. :)

More Sludge this week. Here are some Jaegers, they are not conversions of Perry Miniatures like most of my army, they are metal miniatures from Warbases, Red Guard models from their Mousquetaires range. I have painted them in similar yellows and browns and even though their style is bit different and proportions are not the same, they fit quite ok, especially when they are based individually. My heroes and leaders are also from the same range, so they don't look that odd.

That's dried grape wine branch (in lack of a proper English term) on the bases, if you wonder. Painted yellow to give a low fantasy look of strange bushes and roots. Some orange sand, too.

The crossbows are handy weapons, they have longer range than muskets, but is more difficult to hit and they hit armoured troops harder.

But these are plastic Perry's, similar conversions of foot knights and Zouaves as before. Two bases here, one marching and one charging. They have same colours as the previous unit (brown pants and yellow shirts) so they will expand the unit to five bases. That's pretty hard one to crack.




I managed to play my first game of Sludge last week against a friend of mine on our kitchen table, here are some photos. We had a 200 point game where there were 3 objectives in the middle, which could be plundered for points. Points were also scored for having units left on the table and killing the enemy commander. I had a narrow loss, but of course this was my first game and lots of the mechanics and tactics were new. The rules were rather simple, we only browsed the rules quite rarely. I definitely want to play more.

My kitchen table, but the mat and the terrain (excluding the grey hut) was provided by my friend Joonas. The greenish army is of course his.




We had a nice duel in the end between the commanders, both of them survived. The orange tokens represent "gore", or chaos on the battlefield. That makes it more difficult for units to operate and stay on the field, heroes can remove that stuff, but then of course they can't do other nice stuff, like buff the troops...

Scoring wise, that is 10 new Sludge minis in 28mm scale for 50 points. No skulls of squirrels.

From Millsy;

LOL, I had no idea when I suggested more Sludge for your Challenge Quadrant Hub task that you were already way ahead of me! Congrats on both your foresight AND the fact you've produced another great addition to your army Teemu. Wonderful to see the army in use for the first time too, and as we all know units are destined to die ingloriously on their first run out :-P

Like all your past Sludge posts I really dig everything here, but for me the standouts are the Warbases' Red Guard. One of the things I really enjoy as a counterpoint to kitbashing is finding an existing miniature that fits your theme and can slide right in. If they're not intended for what you use them for then so much the better.

50 points for the minis, plus another 20 for the Hub. Well done mate!

19 comments:

  1. Love these kitbashes. Reading about Sludge and Turnip28 has me scratching my head and looking at my sprues box in equal measure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dux! They both have a nice post-apoc feel, but the apoc just happened centuries ago. :)

      Delete
  2. More great additions to your Sludge collection, Teemu. If the rules are as easy to use as you say, I may have to see if I can pick them up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stuart! The rules are available in Blaster 3 magazine, can be purchased as a pdf, too.

      Delete
  3. Love the Sludge. This was such a great little project to see develop. Like Dux, I'm looking at my bits box wondering what I could dream up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The atmosphere you have succeeded in transferring to this figures is admirable, great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They kind of look like it is raining, which is a good thing.

      Delete
  5. Loving this project and great to the sludge match on the kitchen table

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter! It was nice to get a game played.

      Delete
  6. Great looking figures, really interesting project!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Millsy, the Challenge was a bit easier, but non the less fun. It was fun to source different minis to this project, and like you said, it is interesting to see how minis change, when painted differently and placed in strange setting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done on your Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barks! It was rather easy - or well-prepared...

      Delete