Saturday 5 March 2022

From Paul O'G: Beastmen! (50 points) (LV426)


Due to work travel its been a good few weeks since I touched a brush. This gave me time to reflect on this year's Challenge and I realised I was missing something - I've painted no Beastmen - for shame! So this week I've rectified that with some characterful Beastmen models from the Underworlds "Grashrak's Despoilers" set.

BFFs Grashrak and Draknar are the bruisers of this warband

Grashrak Fellhook is a magical Bray-Shaman, and his buddies are Gor Draknar the Cruel and the Ungor Hunters Gnarl, Ushkor, Murgoth Half-Horn, and Korsh the Sneak. Together they 'hate all things pure with a bestial vehemence that knows neither reason nor restraint' - nice lads to gatecrash your forrest outing. With the idea that these would be a flavoursome raiding force for WHFB as well as a Warcry Warband, I lavished attention on their lovely details and tried some different flesh tone colours and shades.

That's 6 beastmen figs for 30 points plus the LV426 planetary bonus because its a really, really bad idea to wander into the Drakwald Forrest while these guys are lurking about..., for a total of 50 points.

From Millsy:

I knew something was missing from your efforts this year Paul, and now I know what it was! I have to say these are some of the best beastmen sculpts GW have ever produced IMHO and for an Oldhammer aficionado that's not an easy admission to make.

These are wonderfully painted mate, some of your best brushwork in all the challenges you have participated in from my POV. The palette is muted, and the contrast low-key but you have sacrificed nothing in terms of detail, character or interest. The bases are really top notch too and the lack of tufts or other staples we all use with impunity now really enhances your brushwork.

Smashing stuff all round!

14 comments:

  1. These are great, I think Beastmen are the only models I don't mind getting the obligatory scale creep over the years. They look great as taller chaps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look great, Paul! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Intimidating beastmen! They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those beasties look absolutely brilliant, the grittiness and textures are extremely well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice beastmen! I haven't thought to paint beastmen that pale, but there are lots of other ideas as well I have thought. :) Very nice and refreshing, Paul!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, those beastmen are awesome. I think I need a couple for my WFRP campaign. Well done Paul!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic Beastmen, the pale palette really suits them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Splendid looking beastmen, they look great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are tremendously good. Every time I look I see another little piece of detail. Very fine work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful set of characters!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks indeed for all the kind comments everybody!

    ReplyDelete