Monday 20 February 2023

From AdamC Hurin Book and Dark Age Irish 110 points (1 Squirre)

 So this is very one is very much an interpretation on my part.  I for my book entry I am using the Simarilion and Children of Hurin because I am that sort of Nerd.   

Hurin Thalion (the steadfast or strongpossibly the greatest and most tragic of Tolkien's legendarium.   I used a Wargame's Atlantic Irish figure here.  He has the high crowed helm Tolkien seems to like.  the figue has no armor but we can imagin that tunic is actually a sure coat hiding mail. 

He wields an axe because that is the weapon he used at the Nirnaeth Arnoediad, the battle of unnumbered tears.  Hurin and his bother Huor an the men of Dor-Lomin formed a rear guard in the Fen of Serech where as the last man alive he discarded his shield and cried: Aurë entuluva! (Day will come agai) as he slew until draged down by overwhelming numbers (after killing at least 70 foes). Things when rapidly down hill from there for our hero as he watched Morgoth play merry hell with his children and allies.

I decided to do the cloak in dark green but the tunic in a yellow. Most depictions of Hurin seem to favor dark colors (black) but I liked the idea of him in bright colors (a light in darkness as it were) and I couldn't find anything to contradict this idea (someone will now do so I have no doubt 😂)

Next up five Irish warriors from the same set.  4 of them represent up class warriors though perhaps not the top echelon.
The fellow in the center is clearly of a lower order with his small shield and dagger back up weapon.

I'm pleased with the skin tones I got here. Presumably these fellows are going without shirts (or armor) to show off they're fine additions to my dark age Irish warband.
In Saga Wolfhounds are the icon unit for Irish warbands. I have some already but it's nice to add some more since they came in the box.
There are ten dogs in all plus the handler. With a javelin. 
The dogs fur and the handler's skin came out well a point of improvement in my painting (if I may say so)

Points Hurin is a 25 mm figure so 5 points plus another 20 as my book entry.

The Irish are all 25mm figures 10 dogs and 6 men for 80 points assuming the dogs get full points. The Irish should also net me another Squirrel point 

So another 105 points in total. Hopefully I will have an age of sail entry for next week. 


A fine collection of warriors of myth and history Adam.  I recognize those GB Irish warriors as I have a few in my army, although I've yet to paint any hounds.  Nice work on shields and yes the time taken painting these shows.   I am bumping your score up by a few points in recognition.


21 comments:

  1. Thank you, but these Irish Warriors and Hounds are Wargames Atlantic not Gripping Beast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking Irish warriors real and fantastical! I am tempted by these wargames Atlantic figures to bulk up my dark age Irish force and yours look excellent!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend them unless you need slingers

      Delete
    2. I say that because they only give you enough slings to make 5 slingers and 5 guys throwing rocks... Not enough for most games.

      Delete
  3. Nice work all around, Adam! My favorites are the wolfgounds, but I kinda have a strong affinity for fur missiles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fun to run on the table aren't they :)

      Delete
  4. Nice work, and I like your interpretation of Hurin! Not a very cheery tale, but among the Professor’s best work I’d say. Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would agree it's his most complex and moving tales.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks skin has been a challenger for me over the years

      Delete
  6. A fine set of dogs, they'd cause havoc down the park on a Sunday morning 😀

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great brushwork, Adam. I loved the book - a classic tragedy.

    ReplyDelete