Thursday 2 March 2023

From GeoffreyT: Books [Books](55 Points)

Hello Challengers,

The studio I enter is about books.  Books that would make a good movie.

I will start with a classic book that went to film.  Asterix in Britain by Goscinny and Uderzo.

This character is the British Chieftain, "Mykingdomforanos" raising a cup of hot water to the success of the mission.

This book was written in 1966 made into a film in 1986.  Fortunately I have a copy of the book on my shelf for reference.  The miniature is by "Metal Magic"

Next we have a miniature from a book that has been onto the small screen, in two different TV serials.

This model is inspired by, but legally distinct from Worzel Gummidge.  It is made by "Slave2gaming".

I wasn't a fan of the show, despite featuring an excellent actor, Jon Pertwee.  I always felt a bit ripped off when I saw the show as I would have preferred if Jon was doing a Dr Who episode.  Obviously I didn't quite get how TV worked at that age.

Next is a medieval crossbowman.  A home sculpted one.  He could be William Tell, or he might not be, who can tell (badda-boom).  William Tell's story was first written in the White book of Sarnen (1474) and his story has been translated into numerous more recent books as well as film (1960).

Not sure he would have had bare arms. Probably would have had sleeves for that era.  So maybe he is actually a fantasy crossbowman instead.

Finally we have 4 characters from a little known book series that might make a good film, The Lord of the Rings trilogy (1954-1955)

The four hobbits are Frodo, Samwise, Merry and Pippin.   They are all from Citadel miniatures Lord of the Rings range from 1985.   These miniatures pre-date the 2001-2003 movies, so don't have the well known style characterised from those films.

In all we have 7 28mm scale miniatures.  However 4 are half sized, so probably would count as prone.

3 x 28mm foot = 15 points

4 x 28mm prone = 10 points

1 x Books bonus = 20 points

Total = 45 points

From here I have completed every studio but the directors chair, for which the snowlord has assinged me a special task.

Goodbye until then


Geoff.

From TeemuL: In Finnish book the chief "Mykingdomforanos" is called "Veribigbos", but I know many of the names are different in different languages. Very fine British gentleman, but are you sure it is hot water in the cup, not warm ale? You have accomplished a very nice cartoonish style on him, good job.

Worzel Gummidge is unknown to me, but looks interesting, a scarecrow? William Tell I know, nice sculpting. And the hobbits are great, very characterful, and I belive we have scored hobbits in full points in the past, so I will continue that fine tradition. If anyone argues, I'll say the points are awarded from the hand painted shields. :)

8 comments:

  1. Lovely submission. I'm all for Asterix and Obelix, I had no ide there were minis of these characters. The hobbits are also great

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great painting. The Asterix models are something I would love to paint one day. If you haven't seen the new Wurzel Gummidge with Mackenzie Crook I heartily recommend it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking characters, I think the translators of Asterix and Obelix had a wide range of latitude so that's why they vary a lot, the hobbits are great too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are lots of localizations. For example the leader of the tribe in Finnish is "Aladobix" and the druid is "Akvavitix" and the grumpy old guy is "Senilix"....

      Delete
  4. Lovely stuff. Really like the Asterix inspired figure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great Geoff, fantastic characters

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work Geoff, I love those classic hobbits!

    ReplyDelete