Thursday 25 January 2024

From BruceR: FIW Companies Franches de la Marine and Huron allies [Maritine] (85 points)

Huzzah, this is the Challenge helping to finish projects.  We play Sharp Practice FIW, AWI and Napoleonic's.  Last year I joined the Lard Zone at Adepticon and ran a pirate SP game, with many of the figures painted during the challenge.  This year I decided on FIW and even though the locals would loan their figures I decided to add some additional French so I had both forces.

This is my second batch  of allied, Hurons, to assist my French in battling the red coats and rangers.  I didn't use contrast paints as I did on the others and I'm more pleased with these.  I did use a 3 tone action for the skin.  Close up looks choppy, but at distance stands out on the table.  I also highlighted the warpaint slightly after feeling it was a bit drab.   Again, the figures are Galloping Major, purchased as a starter  pack and getting the leader figure free.  

caution as we approach the settlement

leading and given the rank plate by the Francie  









Next up the group of  Companies franches de la marine.  I love skimming the internet to see paint schemes and to learn more about the figures I'm painting and playing with. When the call for troops came in New France the Ministry of the Navy (my submission for the Maritine Book Stack) was given the task of providing these troops to the colony.  Recruited in France and sent to Quebec in 1683.  They became their own organization and as the group grew would be tasked with raids, with their native allies, into the contested areas of the new world.  Usually at least a company being sent with their unpredictable allies on raids.  They became adept at brush fighting and were seen as somewhat lazy in garrison compared to regulars as they did not parade.  The Troupes de la marine became integral to  the areas they were in as they would be paid extra to assist in farming or road building due to labor shortages.  Again, the heft of the Galloping Major miniatures makes painting them a joy. I am struck as to the lack of facial hair  on these figures.  I would imagine, as they turned into a wilderness fighting force, the great French moustache or beard would have been rather standard.  Also, as they were under their own command so such an appearance would seem logical.  I've not located any source to say mustache or no mustache (and I'm not trying to model facial hair).   They units did grow and locals were not allowed to join, again due to the labor shortage and recruits came from France.  The marines took to wearing allied garb, which only makes sense as they were operating in wilderness areas.  The units grew to even battalion strength and were used in some of the larger actions.    

This completes my French force for the FIW scenario I'll be running at Adepticon.  I have 18 other figures from Old Glory already painted, the Galloping Major figures are more robust and I prefer them.  They will mix in nicely and are great troops under the Sharp Practice rules either as skirmishers or rand and file.  

Companies franches  de la marine: 



I imagine they started to work as skirmish pairs around this time, one firing the other reloading and searching for targets.  






Maritine Book Stack:

Raised by the French Ministry of Navy and I chose to "attempt" an anchor on their cap.  I've seen both the fleur de lis or the anchor depicted on their uniforms.   


Points:

13 28mm FIW @5                = 65 pts
Maritine book stack              = 20 pts
Total                                      = 85 pts

Keep painting and stay warm (heat wave here today at 27 degrees F).  

Painting Interruptus:  

Warning painting can be slowed by gaming, here is a quick shot of The Silver Bayonet (my troops painted last year in the challenge).  Four of us threw down this past Saturday.  The Spanish cannot be seen in this scrum.

French, English and Russian bands fight it out with a Revenant (Alternative Armies)

Cheers,  Bruce

TeemuL: What a wonderful set of minis, Bruce! And you have painted in such a nice way, I especially like the Hurons and their striking warpaint. The blue caps on marines are almost as striking. Well done. And nice to see you have seen some action outside the painting desk, even when it slows you down. All the best for your Adepticon game!

16 comments:

  1. Incredible brushwork Bruce, and inspiring stuff for my own project in this area (which has been on the back burner for too long)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. I love Napoleonic, yet my friends are FIW and AWI nuts. So, I’ve paint forecast for all 3. An affliction Cheers

      Delete
  2. Nice FIW troops. Lovely details that you've added.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FIW SP campaigning with Alan is a career hobby highlight for me so these really resonate with me on many levels. Gorgeous painting on some fabulous sculpts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work, Bruce. The skin tone is a great succes, really like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look terrific Bruce. I like the bold brushwork on the Hurons especially. Your upcoming Adepticon game will be stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely done. Your table at Adepticon will look great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely work - vade retro satanas... this is so tempting to get into!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wonderful paintwork Bruce the figures just look stunning

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice, eye-catching minis, they should look great on the Adepticon tables.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cracking work - the Huron’s are my fav

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice to see those GM figures being brought to life

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great brushwork on the French Indian Wars figures.

    ReplyDelete