Thursday 25 January 2024

From StuartL - Dashing Through Section 3 - Gift Shop, Art, Nature and Library Cart - 175 Points

Hello all,

    Work has really been hitting me hard this week (and will for the next few weeks at least), so I haven't been able to get an awful lot of painting done. I was able to knock out a few entries for the Challenge Library though, so I'm mainly relying on bonus points to do most of the heavy lifting this week.

    To begin with, I have an entry for the Gift Shop. In early February last year, my wife found some hedgehog shaped garden ornaments that she wanted me to paint up for her, which I did in my entry for the Gift Shop last year, here. Since then, she has been back to the same store repeatedly to see if they had anymore of the same ornaments. The shop had other pieces in the same style, but not hedgehogs (which she adores). After 10 months of fruitless searching, the store finally restocked one of the two ornaments, so my wife immediately bought it and gave it to me along with detailed instructions for the colour scheme. 

Tyrant's Legion troops stand valiantly against the rampaging xenos beast.

    I painted this in the same style as last year, mainly applying a wash over the top and then wiping over the top with a piece of paper to pick up the majority of the wash. The eyes, nose, ears and feet were all painted in normally.


        With the quick stop to the gift shop out of the way, I need to move over to the Art section, so here is a mini from the old, old, old game Void to pay for my trip on Sarah's Library Cart.


    For the Art section, I decided to go for some Street Art. As I am in the process of trying to build up a collection of scatter terrain for all of the games/genres I play, I have been asking a friend of mine to print some odds and ends on his 3d printer. I don't know where he got this file from to be honest, but it came out looking great. 


    As I want to use this in cyberpunk themed games, I went for bright vivid colours, using a garish blue alongside a bright pink.


    And here is a shot with last week's Blade Runner for scale.

    Moving swiftly along, it's time for a trip over to Nature and therefore a mini is required for the cart once more.


    A second Void mini pays handily for my trip. The Void range is quite simple, which makes them quick to paint up. There are loads of female sculpts in the range which is ideal when you are scrambling for as many bonus points as possible. 

    Over in the Nature section of the library, it is time for more scatter terrain, in this case quite a large terrain item from Reaper.


    This tree and the attached prisoner are from one of Reaper's many Bones Kickstarters that I backed. The tree is a lovely piece of kit and is very detailed. The tree is attached to a CD for the base to give it some sturdiness on the table.


    If you look closely at the foot of the tree you will notice some skulls hidden there.

    Finally, I need to jump across the library to the Literature section, ready for next week's entry (I hope). So one final trip on Sarah's Library Cart and one final Void mini.


    And just so that I'm not accused of blatantly abusing the bonus points system, I have painted one other model this week. 


    This centaur is another Reaper Bones mini. I hope to put it on the table this weekend. This Sunday is my gaming group's monthly gaming day, and I am planning to run some more playtest games for the skirmish system I am working on. This fiery haired fellow is going to be a commander for one of the forces I'm taking along.


And on to the scores.
3 x 28mm minis = 15 points.
1 x 28mm cavalry = 10 points.
1 x large hedgehog = 10 points (they were scored as 28mm cavalry last time).
1 x tree with prisoner = 10 points perhaps? [Millsy - it's pretty big, lets call is 15pts]
1 x piece of street art = Can we say 5 points? [Millsy - sounds about right]
Gift Shop = 20 points
Art = 20 points
Nature = 20 points
3x Library Cart Trips = 60 points
TOTAL = 175 Points
 

For my duels:
Skulls (311) + 4 = 315
Legions 620 + 0 = 620

From Millsy: The world needs more hedgehogs! Pam Ayres was a big fan and that's always a good endorsement. Lovely to see you looking after your significant other Stuart. The VOID minis are really well done and will be great for any number of sci-fi games. I have a few and always wanted more but they were not easy to get down under. The pick of bunch for me is the centaur who looks wonderful with his ginger hair and Norse vibe, I hope he wasn't too much trouble to paint with the Bones plastic. 175 more Challenge shekels for you matey!

6 comments:

  1. The hedgehogs are too scary. Their inherent cuteness lulls you into a sense of "aww" then they strike! The legion troops are already doomed. Nice work on the Void miniatures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work, the hedgehog is definitely a hedgehog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice entry, Stuart! Lots of variation and use of bonus points. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work. I hope that your wife appreciates the hedgehog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very productive again as usual Stuart - nice Hodgeheg

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why won't they share the hedge?

    ReplyDelete