Friday 23 February 2024

From AlanD - Roman Allies for Palmyra (125 points)

This week I have finished the Romans who will form a tough little allied contingent in my Palmyran army for To the Strongest! These are called auxiliaries in the TTS army list, although by the mid-3rd century AD it is fairly unclear what distinguished legionary from auxiliary units. I've painted these up as unarmoured infantry, to contrast them with the armoured legionaries from my last entry.



I've also painted a little command group for the Roman allies, hand painting Sol Invictus on the general's shield and Victoria on the vexillum. This design is based on the only known surviving Roman vexillum, discovered in Egypt and now in the Pushkin Museum in Moscow. It amuses me that I seem to have painted her to resemble Princess Leia.


As with all this army, the figures are from A&A Miniatures, a range that is firmly within my top three figure ranges of all time. 23 of them this week, so adding 115 points to my total. Thanks Millsy!

From Millsy: Another wonderful set of Romans to add to your collection mate! Every unit seems to be showcasing more detailed hand painting which I cannot help but be impressed by, so much so I'm awarding more bonus points. One thing I am curious about is some of the auxiliaries seem to be looking backwards whilst about to throw their javelins. Is that sneaky Roman look away tactics in operation?

20 comments:

  1. More lovely units and stunning hand painting of not only shields but standards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Millsy - yes, the looking backwards pose is a bit weird, although being clumsy, I relate to his need to check that he isn't about to poke his mate in the face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work especially on those shields and the standard - excellent.
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  4. Help me, General, you're my only hope!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work again Alan -- the shields are all first rate, the consistency in the know work and then those lovely fluid figures, I'm taking careful notes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are gorgeous. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh - very nice! Great paint job and I love A&A figs!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having a huge fanboy rush over these Dux, they’re magnificent! Really finework on the sheilds and vexillum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful work on the shields and vexillum. I like the varied tunics as well. Visually sets them apart from a uniformed regular.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great painting - especially love the Command base! Cheers JezT

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing work on those Romans! I really like the big base effects you're managing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look great, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing! Your hand painting is better than my full size drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for your kind comments everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great colourful bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful work Dux! Love the colour.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brilliant work Alan! Love the sheilds too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That banner and those shields are lovely detail work

    ReplyDelete