Thursday 22 February 2024

From Barks: More Descent (20 points)

A few more Descent figures. I don't like the sculpts or the pseudobiology behind these dragon-men, but at least they're painted now. I'm following the art and trying just SpeedPaints for these, and could really do with an extra highlight. They're over a plain white undercoat (which hasn't quite cured right...) and I think something with a touch of shading or zenithal would be better. The thing I do enjoy is to try out new shades- the green is Forest Sprite, which has a nice yellowish tint for orc skin or other vegetation.

Hybrid Sentinels

Hero: Reynhart the Worthy


4x28mm figures (20 points)

+6 skullz

From Millsy: I can see why you didn't enjoy these Barks, they do have an odd set of proportions about them and the posing is a bit robotic. They almost looks like flats to me. Even so you've done a great job with them and the red/green combo is really eye catching. Nice work!

20 comments:

  1. That is a really nice green Barks and works well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun experiment and the colors look good. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work on perhaps not the greatest figures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The colors and painting look great. I assume “flat” poses are easier to cast. Several of my old cowboy figures last week were similarly one dimensional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're not that flat, my painting isn't helping.

      Delete
  5. Great works on some weird models Barks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are lovely Barks, I have done a few Descent figures and while they are perhaps not the best sculpts in the hobby, a good paintjob makes all the difference. Yours is a very good paintjob!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sander! It makes a huge difference on the tabletop.

      Delete
  7. Nice work Barks. As you say, even if the figures are a little meh it's fun to try out new colours. Need to get me some of these Speedpaints, I do like that Forest Sprite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how fantasy really lets me test out some wild colours.

      Delete