Thursday 22 February 2024

From BruceR: Epic ACW Warlord Union sprue (216 points)

I bounced back to the 2nd Warlord ACW sprue my fellow gamer presented to me and decided to move forward.  Actually, I've more than decided to move forward as I've purchased a box set at a reasonable price and the project is born.

Painting is a grind with these little fellows, and I continue to try and find short cuts I can live with on the tabletop.  

I used a very light grey spray paint (again sprayed out side in February, the world is on its a-- weather wise).  From there I use contrast paint for the face, blue overcoat, light blue pants, black for the floppy hats.  Brown, metal, brass for the muskets and belt buckles, khaki for the few bedrolls.  Sand applied, painted, and grassed.  I feel the contrast goes on quicker than ordinary paints and leaves a certain highlight.  I'm sure if you look closely, you can see smaller items I've skipped.  Again, not seen on the tabletop and I'm happy with the massed look.  (and the time I am able to paint them in).

So, another set of the wee men to fight my battles.

The figures come with sets of flags from Warlord and I've taken the 20th Maine for this one group.  I will add two command stands to use the excess 4 stands for another two regiments as we are going to use 3 bases per regiment.  I see Little Round Top in our future when we have a few regiments done to give the figures a test run.  








Points:

These were scored as 15mm by my minion and history so I'm using this as my calculations.  If I'm off please adjust.  

104 15mm (13.5mm I'm told) @2        =    208

1 15mm cavalry @3                              =       3

1 15mm artillery @3                             =        3

Total                                                       =    214

Gratuitous photos of another ranch sitting holiday for me with my son off enjoying himself prior to calving season.  To my surprise as well as getting some painting done over the 3 day weekend, I also delivered an early first calve of the season (I watched and crossed my fingers I would not need to jump in as this was not part of the deal).



Plus tired doggos.


Enjoy the weather if you can wherever you are in the world and thanks to Teemu the Thorsday minion for herding us along.

Bruce

TeemuL: 15mm cavalry and guns are 4 points a piece, so two more for you. They look great, Contrast paints on some miniatures make wonders and you have found a good project here. Good looking mass and congratulations on the new born! :)

10 comments:

  1. They look very good, Bruce! If you skipped the details it certainly doesn't detract from the overall effect. Love the animals. I wish I could sleep like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a mass of troops they look great. Just remember never to paint the details on any unit and no one will notice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those ACW epics look great. Good job on the 1:1scale production too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the new calf, hope both new born & mom are doing well and the doggos look so content sleeping … ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, congrats on the new calf! Doggos have it right for winter time - just snooze it away. Brilliant looking BlueBellies too. They look terrific massed up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are some of the best painting on Epic figures that I have seen - lovely.
    RichardM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant results - love that you just started on this project pretty much on a whim ..... Looking forward to seeing more. Cheers JezT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great stuff Bruce, I think it would be difficult to fine better painted epic figures

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely work. The bright green bases make a good contrast

    ReplyDelete