Friday 11 January 2019

From DavidB: Scifi, 40k, and history (60 points)

The Adjunct entered the Commanders office with crisp strides and snapped to attention.
Colonel Stuart kept his gaze on the documents before him, "Report." He commanded briskly.
Eyes fixed forward upon the austere canvas behind the Col, the Adjunct took a brief breath.
" All has proceeded as you planned, Col.
Lieutenant Campbell was quite pleased to be given command of the artifact we covered a few cycles ago. He insists on being referred to as Flight-Lieutenant Campbell now, and he attached a purple band to his flak amour to signify his status as"Lord-of-the-Sky". He changed his call sign to Maverick."
Still gazing at the documents before him, the Colonel gave a small sigh. " Did we have any issues with the Ad-Mech Priests?"
"Negative, Sir." The Adjunct reported" Sgt Tamsin kept them distracted by blaring her music from the vox on various Chimeras. The Priests have been busy with oils, incense and prayers trying to stop the music."
"How is Lieutenant Miles faring as the gunner?" the Colonel asked, finally looking up from the papers and data slates before him.
"Lieutenant Miles is a bit uncomfortable in his new position, Sir." the Adjunct quickly continued.
"It didn't help to much when he became aware that the safety harness on the speeder was only a few Velcro straps. Lieutenant Campbell didn't help either when his first attempt to start the engines fired the melta gun and severed antennae from two Russes. Also Mr Campbell seems to favour jack-rabbit starts. I think I heard Mr Miles screaming as the land speeder left cantonment. That might have been just the whine of the speeder's engine though....
By the way, Sir. Mr Campbell changed Mr Miles call sign to Goose and seems delighted to constantly say 'Talk to me Goose' "
The Colonel carefully stacked the parchment and placed his data slate on top sliding the stack to the Adjunct.
" These are finished, see they are distributed. Bring back any reports that Lieutenants Campbell and- excuse me- Maverick and Goose send."
" Did we have any issues from the Lord Commissar?"
"No, Sir" the adjunct reported collecting the stack. " He was more than happy to help distract the Tech Priests from studying the speeder. He even sourced a few parts as he was excited about the prospects of having a few leadership meetings without Lieutenant Miles and his spreadsheets."

Another ancient model that was primed a long time ago with gesso. I found it while looking for other items and figured I could use it for the recon round. My first choice is taking a bit of time as I was really ambitious and it isn't nearly ready even now. This small craft seemed to be something I could finish quick, but military and work conspired against me. I did have a day, but I was assembling my son's tanks for his WW2 and modern tank games. Battlefront kits do take a bit of time to assemble and he got quite the motor pool of armour.

I plan on using this with my Cadian 7th Cav with my sentinel squadrons. Although long removed from the rules, My gaming group does allow house rules to address defunct models.


The 369th Infantry regiment, also known as Black Rattlers, and Men of Bronze. The Regiment prefers the name bestowed by the enemy...Harlem Hell fighters. The Hell fighters were a National Guard regiment from New York. The faced a lot of discrimination and trials. They didn't take a knee and didn't quit.Instead they served with Honor and great distinction. They served 191 straight days on the front and participated in many significant battles such as the Marne. They captured Sechault and outstripped the flanking French forces by 14 kilometres through fierce German resistance.


General Pershing wanted the American forces kept together and not pieced out to the French and English commands. Although Marine and National Guard units had no issues with them(other National Guard units fought the discrimination the 369th received from shop owners in South Carolina)
They were placed in the front with the French 16th division as First Army didn't want to patrol with them. The 369th were issued Adrian helmets and French weapons and were very welcomed by the French people.
Over 100 soldiers were given decorations including two Medals of Honor and several Distinguished Service Crosses. Pvt Henry Johnson was known as "Black Death and earned the Croix de Guerre before he was awarded the Medal of Honor.
These excellent troops are made by Gaddis Gaming from Detroit. Mr Gaddis is a devoted wargamer of many systems including 40k and X-wing. He is using his game company to employ people in Detroit and inspire the kids and teach them history.

Finally, I figured out how to paint the reaper bones. You prime the heck outta em!

I have this model in metal, so I can attest that the detail is a bit soft. Still the best thing about the bones line is the cost. I do have some of the grey bones which are supposed to take paint better. A new Kickstarter campaign for Bones Black will be starting soon which is supposed to take paint even better.

50 points!
six 28mm for 30
one vehicle for 20( I considered it a crew served weapon with two crew, but that is the same point value as a vehicle)

__________________________________________________________________

What what, Cardinal Biggles? A flying contraption? Rank heresy! And more French? Pssh, everybody expects the French Inquisition. Quite a bit of inventiveness from that relic. And a Miles disinterested in spreadsheets? That is not just heresy, that's outright blasphemy! 

Very nice work on the flying relic. The blue of the trousers adds a nice element, and I do like how you've added gaiters to their boots. The yellow visors are a nice touch as well.

Alas, your heresy has led you to neglect to count the pilots, and so, for your error, Cardinal Biggles will now give you sixty points. Now, how do you plead?

31 comments:

  1. Nice lot David. Really appreciate the history lesson on the Harlem Hell Fighter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peter. The 369th are an impressive unit. Suprising that besides a few books they are mostly forgotten. I now have six WW1 minis. I suppose they can aid in pulp gaming till I get more!

      Delete
  2. Woo retro Rogue Trooper kit. Fab stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paul!
      The primer was suitably aged enough to paint. ;)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Lee! It may see battle soon. If it fails it'll be Curt's fault as the pilot bears his name! ;)

      Delete
  4. Great entry but those Harlem Hell Fighters are the absolute bomb. Well done David - love the history!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Curt! Gaddis also has a knife welding model of Pvt Johnson. I hope to score it at adepticon...and needle him more on doing devils brigade models with Tommy Prince! ;)

      Delete
    2. Yes! Prince and Francis 'Peggy' Pegahmagabow from WWI.

      https://analogue-hobbies.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-great-war-in-greyscale-german.html

      Delete
    3. Missed that one! Of course I was in a war zone then. Peggy is on the list, and I'm getting that book!

      Delete
  5. Old school and lots of history. Very interesting entry allover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Benito!
      My pile of neglect is a treasure of eclectic bits. I am a fan of butterfly chasing and squirrel gandering!

      Delete
  6. I absolutely love the old land speeder! I had that model once, so it’s brilliant to see it so well realised in brilliant colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jamie!
      I never have seen one on the table before, but I know all I've played against had one. I'm looking forward to taking this one for a spin!

      Delete
  7. Great looking land speeder and super history on the national guard unit!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain!
      Am I the only one who makes engine noises when painting machines!? ;)

      Delete
    2. No! And in fact I encourage players to make them while gaming as well. 'You'll get a bonus on the die if you make the right noise...'

      Delete
    3. Well now I’ll be practicing before our next game!

      Delete
    4. Please don't. You make enough strange noises at our games. ;)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thaks, Ray! Pretty much a snapshot of my mind too! ;)

      Delete
  9. Sgt Tamsin? Mind you, we all know that it is the senior NCOs who really run the show, so maybe I shouldn't complain that all the chaps were given officer ranks ;)

    Lovely work all round, David. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly, truly they do. :)

      Delete
    2. As an NCO myself, I can assure you we do the work. The 1st Sgt gives the tasks and the Company Commander as a secondary job of keeping the junior officers too busy to interfere with the NCOs! ;)

      Delete
  10. Great job and quite entertaining back story as well! MaDe my day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow that speeder really takes me back! Lovely work Dave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to buzzing the enemy with it soon. It should be an excellent distraction!

      Delete
  12. What a lovely entry, heaps of character here, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete