Tuesday 19 March 2019

From Barks: Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP! (480 points)

Following Pinkstone Fortress, I thought I wasn't going to reach my distant target of 1200 points. Last Monday, my Kickstarted copy of Red Alert arrived, and I knuckled down and got painting like a demon. Seems that quantity has a quality!
"Spaceship!"

Red Alert puts a space fleet combat spin on the Commands & Colours boardgame series mechanic*, with miniatures from Plastic Soldier Company. So many miniatures... so many flightstands...

There are two factions, Commonwealth and Confederate, or Red and Green respectively. The ships got a basecoat/ wash/ drybrush, with some spot details such as a splash of white or yellow, and the engines got a blue glow. If I had an airbrush this would have been much less painful, I think. Red is still a challenging colour for me, and looks a little flat.

54 Fighters


28 Destroyers


30 Cruisers


8 Transports. The transports can be taken by either side, so I did them in neutral white.
18 Battleships

 4 Flagships

 2 Carriers

 2 Dreadnoughts


Finally, there's an orbital station on a 50mm base.

The Fighters are on 1" bases. All other vessels are on 1x2" rectangular cavalry bases. I reckon 1 point per fighter, 4 points each for the destroyers and cruisers and transports, and 6 points per capital ship and orbital station. YMMV**

1 point x 54 = 54
4 points x 66 = 264
6 points x 27 = 162
Total: 480

Which should comfortably see me over the line! Almost 500 points in a week, who knew it was humanly possible!


And with that, I'm out of entries for AHPC IX***. It has been great fun and quite productive!

Barks

* not at all to be confused with Command & Conquer: Red Alert, which is an entirely different science fiction thing. Obviously.
** Your Minion May Vary
*** Probably?

Guest Minion JamieM - 
So.......Many......Spaceships....... Good gravy man, did you not need sleep?!?!?  I do like the look of these and painting them all in one go will totally help them look consistent on the board.

Given you're an officially sanctioned Minion and you've been issued with the "Curt's official scoresheet sizing size-o-meter of sizingness" I'm going to go with your scoring and assign points as you suggest.  Excellent work!

18 comments:

  1. It looks like a great job to me. Nice collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY Goodness thats a lot of ships. They look lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is double that in flight stands... nearly drove me spare putting them together.

      Delete
  3. Lovely space fleets Barks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two lovely looking fleets! Fantastic!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain! I don’t mind painting both sides for a game.

      Delete
  5. Wow, nice last week paint bob. Those look great barks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very fortuitous arrival, I wouldn’t have got it done otherwise.

      Delete
  6. These look awesome! Might have to paint up mine whenever it gets here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. It’s not really my style, but I was pretty happy when I realized it was going to get me well over the 200 points I needed.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a game i want to buy

    Wonderful paintjobs on the figures

    ReplyDelete