Tuesday 19 March 2019

From MartinN: Curtgeld, French and a smattering of 15mm (65 points)

The canal simply didn't fit into the booth
A last Hurrah of sorts really. Despite having reached my highest points total yet -most of it due to bonus points- I haven't been as productive by far as I'd have wished to. Especially when compared to what I managed to paint last year I'm a little disappointed  by my own efforts. Still it was a jolly good ride and an experience I wouldn't have wanted to miss.



As my Curtgeld for this year I've two Uruk-hai berserkers to present. Really rather enjoyable to paint and I actually would love to paint a few more at some point. I haven't dug into the GW version of LotR but the up and coming supplement Age of Magic for SAGA might actually entice me enough to collect a smallish warband... or two.


 As requested by our beloved Overlord I didn't do the bases so he could match them to his own forces. Tamiya X-27 clear red mixed with a little black wash was used for the blood effects on the swords. After varnishing I should add. Was thinking about maybe adding a few cuts on the berserkers too but decided against as it probably wouldn't have been visible on the reddish skin afterwards anyway.


While I love painting Horizon Blue I've miserably failed to "kickstart" my WW1 French as I'd intended. So these three bombers are all that I can offer in addition to the one painted at the start of the challenge. Well... butterfly, what more could I say?




And lastly for this year I've a rather smallish contribution in 15mm as well. Two Normandy style houses I bought recently (there are a few more I didn't manage to finish) and an Italian Semovente da 75/34. The Semovente is a 3D print I made on my newly acquired Anycubic Photon. The file was created by m_bergmann and can be found on thingiverse. He has made some superb vehicles which, when taking the limitations of 3D printing -like thicker barrels- into account, compare favourably with commercially available vehicles.


I'll leave the points for the judge(s) to decide. Once again my heartfelt thanks for a fantastic three month goes out to Curt, Lady Sarah, all the Minions and of course all the participants and lurkers. Winter season wouldn't be what it is today without the lot of you.

Marvellous stuff, Martin. Your entries have been of an eyewateringly high quality- and now you're jumping on board the 3D printing wagon.

I really like the berserkers. Peter Jackson had the idea that they filled their helmets with blood before donning them, sloshing it all over their heads and shoulders. Those cleavers would hew their way through any defenders. I'm looking forwards to SAGA Fantasy as well.

And those poilu bombers are magnifique!

5x 28mm figures
1x 15mm vehicle
10 points for terrain
20 Curtgeld
63 total
+2 to keep Tamsin happy
=65

Barks

10 comments:

  1. SOme cracking work Martin. I do like the Berserkers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice work, that blue on the WWI French is great. I am also looking forward to the Fantasy SAGA. Have a pile of LOTR figures that my son painted 15 years ago that have been in the cabinet for just too long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pilous! Great berserkers and a lovely tank and buildings!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely work Nick and thank you so much for the brace of berserkers - what an absolutely ferocious pair of bad lads. Though you may not have reached your personal Challenge goals I think I speak for everyone who's seen your work that what you did get done was absolutely superb. Well done sir and thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Nick, excellent stuff. Those are a pair of grim looking berserkers. I like your poileau, I'll look forward to seeing more of them next year (hopefully?). Best of all for me are the buildings, they really look the part. Were there actually any Semoventes in Normandy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly not Peter... but personally I prefer the Italian theatre anyway. More sun, vino and the fighting was on a little more equal footing 😉

      Delete
  6. Your work is always a treat to behold Nick - every, single, time! You always achieve such lovely depth to your colours, it is just smashing stuff! Congrats on a great effort.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quality just quality Nick! What an exhibition in fantastically painted miniatures!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  8. The poilus are absolutely stunning. Those alone would be enough to turn me into an avid fan of your painting, and the rest is fantastic too. So even if you have not reached your own goal, I have really enjoyed the contributions you presented!

    ReplyDelete