Monday 30 December 2019

From ByronM - Darth Vader and Imperial Royal Guard (35 Points)

One of the new projects I have gotten into recently is Star Wars Legion.  While it is not exactly a new game, having come out over a year ago already, I held off until recently.  A bunch of friends got into it over the last few months, so I decided to take the plunge as well since I now have people to play with.

The models are made out of a board game type plastic, so while they don't have great detail, they are not horrible either.  For the price (when considering the base kit, not separate units) they are actually very nice, since the core box can be had for about $70CND on Amazon and if you buy 2 and split with a friend, you can each have almost a full force for $70, which is not bad at all.

Where to start with Star Wars though?  Well, you have to root for the good guys, right?  So, I am doing the loyal government employees lead by Darth Vader himself.  My force is going to be the force of order and stability with the rightful government trying to get rid of the horrible desert based terrorist forces of the rebellion.

So the first units that I just had to paint up are Darth Vader himself, and a unit of Imperial Royal Guard.


Both are very simple monochromatic colour schemes, since Vader is obviously all black, and the Royal Guard are all red.  Because of that, I had to try to add some interest in with dust and dirt on their boots and cloaks as well as some OSL from Vader's light saber.


I am not really sure the OSL works correctly as I could not get the red to "pop" without looking way over done, so had to keep messing with it going up and down in saturation.  I am not sure it's quite right yet, but I honestly just got sick of getting too far one way, then the other trying to get it just right.  If anyone has any suggestions on how to make it work better, I am all ears!!!


 I did have some issues playing with the pigments as well, and they are a bit over done as I was playing with a new pigment fixing agent, and once they were on.... they were on!  So I very likely will go back and dull them down by painting over them with a glaze, but I have to wait and see how it works on the Storm Troopers that are currently in progress before I change anything else.

______________________

Oh wow, these look spectacular, Byron! The Royal Guard look suitably menacing and very, well, red (they would be a great choice for Sander's Sand Dunes!). But of course the pick of the lot is Vader with his glowing lightsaber. I think the OSL looks excellent and you've done a beautiful job on his various blacks, both glossy for his armour and more muted for the fabrics.

For these larger 35(ish)mm figures that we are seeing more often in boardgames and GW, we'll simply score them as 40s.

So, with that being the case this group of hard working government workers will give you  35 points.

Wonderful work Byron! May the Dark Side be With You. :)

-Curt


19 comments:

  1. Very nice work! but where are the cookies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great rendition of Vader and Royal guard, I find the trick with OSL is to start with the closest point then work from there as what areas would have some and areas where it will fade away

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Byron! Congrats on the OSL effect, I think it looks really good.

    I have my own OSL technique - never try it. It works very well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Splendid work on these and I like what you did with Vaders OSL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work, Byron. Good to see you choosing the "right" side of the Sith for the first foray into a Galaxy Far Away! I love the red cloaks on the Royal Guard, and especially fine work on the OCL for Lord Vader. A great submission!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My word these are nice! The OSL looks spot on to me and I very much appreciate you going with the good guys indeed. None of those poncey rebel scum here 👍🏻

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work on these dutiful public servants, Byron :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work, all red figures are always a pain to get right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent work. The OSL effects are great, I could never achieve that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super OSL ,excellent figures!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cracking work! The OSL is really great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ice work, I do like the glow effect.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Impressive, most impressive... :-)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTlXZf5qsZI

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic work Byron - like others I think the OSL is superb (something that is far beyond my abilities, I have to say). I have never really looked into Star Wars Legion, but this entry is making me think again!

    ReplyDelete