Monday 30 December 2019

From JohnS: Beware the Blood Moon Goblins in Sander's Sand Dunes (130 points)

It has long struck me that GW Night Goblins look a bit like Jawas but with longer noses (or actual noses) so when musing upon a landing place for Challenge Island I went Sander's Sand Dunes - Desert Dunes - Critters That Are Nasty and Hang Out In Sand Dunes - Jawas - Night Goblins - In Red Robes! So this week's entry was born. N is for Night Goblins (more on this later!)


I have hundreds of Night Goblins for my ridiculously large Goblin Horde Warhammer army and I like each unit of 20 or so to have a theme with 5 units sharing a similar backstory/look. I have painted enormous blocks of black and grey gobbos but I remember that when they were first introduced Night Goblins were painted in different tribal colours. Therefore I have been adding a number of more colourful units, each belonging to a different Goblin tribe. Enter the Blood Moon Clan in their Red Robes.
That fella in the middle has your number. Watch out.
I have tried to give a darker feel to the red robes by mixing a strong red (Army Painter Pure Red) with AP Red Tone wash which gave me a flowing mix that dried with tonal shift. A bit of GW Mephiston Red (slightly thinned) as a shadow coat and some AP Pure Red highlights and the robes were done.
The Gobbo skin was done with that new fangled GW Contrast paint in Ork Flesh. I wanted to try the stuff out because there has been so much chatter. The result, pretty good. Certainly saved me some time highlighting. I even used a micro point pen to outline the red moons on the shields and add detail lines. I have deliberately chosen the basing to be a older style with black edges to blend in with the existing army.
I must admit this is not what I started painting as my first entry for this year but I have been struggling with some Napoleonics and was really dragging the chain so spent some time in the miniatures mine looking at what I have prepared (many, many figures) and the white undercoated NGs just jumped out at me. Inspiration led to perspiration and here we are.


The Alphabet Game Side Duel. In the spirit of insanity that always accompanies a new AHPC I decided to do a personal challenge/side duel An Alphabet of Miniatures. Like any good code, they won't be alphabetical order but I hope to cover all 26 letters. As mentioned above, this entry is N is for Night Goblin (just imagine what a great children's book that would be!)

Points. If I have understood the points correctly I will get 130 points for this entry - 20 x 28mm miniatures @ 5 each plus 30 for my first steps on Challenge Island.

That bloke in the back is watching you too.

_______________________

It's great to have you with us again, John! 

These gobbos look fabulous. I especially like their shields and faces. It's really interesting to see other people's experiments with the Citadel Contrast paints. I'll have to pick up that green to give it a go for some upcoming Napoleonics.

While the Orks have never really appealed to me I've always had my resolution tested whenever I see Night Goblins. They are just so cool, so whacky and such a product of their time, They always remind me of the long-haired GW stoners you'd see in the pages of late 80's White Dwarf who looked like they hadn't been introduced to soap in a month. Ah, those early, heady days of Warhammer!

This regiment, N for Night Goblin, will give you 130 points. 

And just what is it about Sander's Sand Dunes!? Is the guy giving out free wooden clogs or something?

-Curt






39 comments:

  1. Is any goblin horde ever too large? I think not!
    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Every answer to a problem playing a goblin horde is always - add more goblins!

      Delete
  2. Great work, John - and a fine collection of goblins as well. Best of luck on the "alphabet challenge"!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have all the letters planned out but they have already started to change. Madness may ensue.

      Delete
  3. Welcome aboard John! These Gobbos seem to be quite a fierce looking bunch. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work mate - a veritable Shoemark point bomb right there!

    Looking forward to seeing what other tribes you have in the mix: Harvest Moon Goblins in orange robes singing Neil Young songs? Goblin cabaret singer Billie Holliday and the Blue Moons? I'll get my coat...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha... you know that you have started me further down the road to madness...Ultravox Brown Goblins, you know, ahaa Burnt Sienna...

      Delete
  5. Nice, big, block of goblins!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great and the reddest thing to date

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The gobbos have found that if they all wear the same colour it simplifies things on wash day.

      Delete
  7. Truy Ool Skool Boyz there. Love them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Benito. I haven't even treally started exploring the depths of my ork and goblin seam in the lead and plastic mine yet. More Old Skool goodness to come.

      Delete
  8. Great looking night goblins, the red is super!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, I am quite happy with how they turned out.

      Delete
  9. These little Gobbo's are very cool mate! They are also very festive like Bad-Santa's little helpers ;-) Great one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sander. I am very happy that they turned out just they way I envisaged.

      Delete
  10. @Curt: now I know you're trying to be funny but this remark about the clogs...tssk tssk tssk (And just what is it about Sander's Sand Dunes!? Is the guy giving out free wooden clogs or something?) Now I have only this year (and I am turning 40 on January 6th) bought my first pair of clogs and they are leather, not wood. Besides that it's the Northern provinces that actually are more famous for the wooden shoes than this part where I live. But okay whatever :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You tell him Sander! I suspect that you Sand Dunes are popular because Red is an easy brief to meet plus next stop is Millsys Millpond and everyone has old lead from decades ago.
      FYI I have a project on the go featuring the naval history of the United Provinces and I plan to be far more culturally sensitive than the Snowlord.

      Delete
    2. Lol Peter, I will try to educate people about the Netherlands some way later on in the Challenge although I am starting to fear there's not enough time for all I have planned, but I digress.
      At first I thought simply "Red" as a task is a bit easy, but look at the simply brilliant and diverse interpretations everybody has come up with! Also being a teacher I know that the first question of a test should never be too hard in order not to discourage the student. ;-)

      Delete
    3. Riiight, Suuuure, 'I've never had a pair of wooden clogs', and next you'll be telling us that you guys don't skate down canals or put your fingers in dykes. ;P

      Delete
    4. I am the world's worst skater, I HATE HATE HATE skating! I only push off with my right foot resulting in lots of rings around...no not the ring...my own axel. Anyway putting fingers in dykes (dijken in Dutch) is totally useless as my wife can attest to being responsible for the upkeep of said dykes as she works for the waterboard over here.

      Delete
  11. A fantastic looking unit. The red is very striking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. Thanks mate, I am really happy with how they came together.

      Delete