Monday 30 December 2019

From TomM: My first print ever - 6mm statues (4 pts)

So, at Christmas, Noshi gave me an Ender 3, and I immediately started printing with it of course.

Now, I also need to learn Cura, scaling, and more of those things, but for a first start, I did all right... except the scaling.



The print was intended to be a 28mm size priestess figure, but I forgot that if you put in 28mm, it calculates the base and all it is mounted on.  So it turned out far smaller, yet ideal to suit a 6mm gaming table instead.

So not too much of a loss... it's also a fairly quick print, barely using any filament and taking 12 minutes to chuckle out, so it was good to test the machine's settings.



A quick paint job later, and it was all good to go for the gaming table...



In fact, I liked it so much for what it needed to serve, I actually used up the remainder of the small roll of test filament to print some more...

Pointswise?  They are obviously to small for a cube of scenery, being somewhere between the size of a 15mm and 20mm figure each, so I'd guess 1 point each, for a modest 4 points total?

After all, this was more a creation of pure joy for a new toy, then an actually planned entry this year to reduce lead mountain :-)

_____________________________

Ahh, the joys of the first print. Welcome to the fascinating and infuriating world of 3D printing Tom! These priestess looks pretty darned cool. My first print was a large frog. Kinda pointless, but I never thought of making him into a statue... (Quietly adds it to the painting queue.) These will look great on a 6mm table - perhaps a grand avenue with these four lining the thoroughfare. It would look quite grand, I think.

Let's place these as four single15mm figures, so 8 points total. 




14 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your first 3D print. Your statues look like they'd be useful even if they weren't what you intended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess a lot of us will be following you this season, as you're not the only one brand new to the world of 3D printing. Seems like a pretty good first attempt to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All these people with their 3D printers! I might have to join in the fun and buy one for myself.

    Nice statues :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the top home budget models, the Creality Ender 3, is now clocking in at around 160 euro overhere, and 20 euro for a roll of kilo of filament. Which should give you some decent amounts of terrain to churn out

      Delete
  4. Good looking 3d prints!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the first print and enjoy the new toy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I salute anyone who can tolerate the insanity of 3D printing...well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very brave work and glad the teeny tiny statues worked out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like what you did, also thinking of getting a 3D printer for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really cool Tom, must be very nice to see something you've made from scratch come to life when painted!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty damned good for a first print! I have printed my fair share of spaghetti...

    ReplyDelete