Monday 30 December 2019

From LeeH - (Sanders Sand Dunes) The Red Samurai - 35 Points

Having paid the ferryman two camels for my passage, I can now embark on my journey around Challenge Island. My first location is Sanders Sand Dunes and in keeping with the theme of this local, here is my Red Samurai. 





Unfortunately, I know nothing about this model other than the fact I bought it from a bargain bin at a show some years ago. It came in an unmarked plastic bag so I don't know who made it, who the sculptor is or even what game system it was produced for. What I can say is that its 28mm and wonderfully elegant in its lines and was a joy to paint. I opted for a red and green theme as they compliment each other and I'm really happy with the result. I had a little trouble with the face and had to repaint it twice because I just wasn't happy with it. I may be known for my 6mm figures but trust me when I say that my fine motor skills and brush technique need a little work! 







I couldn't help think of the Seven Samurai while painting this model and had to do a suitable Black and White shot of the model as well.




So my path around the island is mapped out. It may be a little circuitous but each step has a figure (or figures) that I am excited to paint and will bring me ever closer to the dread Snow Lords Peak. Wish me luck!

_______________________________

Lee, this samurai is absolutely lovely. I have the very same figure in my lead pile and, similar to you, I have no idea of his provenance. Perhaps a Challenger can help us out with this. Anyway, I think you nailed the red and green colour combination and I particularly like the purple trim and family heraldry on his kimono. No worries on the face as he looks suitably dour and forbidding as he flashes forward with his katana. 

35 points for Sander's Sand Dunes. Lovely work!

-Curt

15 comments:

  1. Lovely work. Great shading on his robe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work joining me and others on "The Dunes"! It's a lovely figure , and I love the way you've captured the red of the robes, and the kimono. Great base-work as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fine work and a rather striking colour combination!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good painting, the work on the red is excellent

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent looking unknown samurai!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice figure Lee, but he looks a little unhappy?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very good Lee, the red has some pretty nifty shading, good use of washes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That B&W photo is great! I like the flowers on the base as well.

    ReplyDelete