Monday 30 December 2019

From SidneyR: Characters from Laarden, 1688 (Sander's Sand Dunes) (95 points)


Here's my first post in Challenge X, and the long, entertaining journey which will see us all through the long winter months.  After some period of time sailing in my imagination around Challenge Island, I've decided that a fine place to make landfall is on the stunningly shimmering shingle-strand of Sander's Sand-Dunes, following the "Historical" path.  



Its a fine place to start the journey....

And while my 1688 project, focused around a fictional town in the 17th Century Spanish Netherlands known as "Laarden", is alt-History, in my own mind the "history" bit is always at the forefront of the painting and wargaming.  I thought that it was fair, therefore, to start down the "historical" path.   So, with that in mind, here's the first few characters from 1688 Laarden in this year's Challenge campaign.  

As a bit of fun, I've created a "character card" for each character, or set of characters, for the Challenge.  I'm hoping that when these characters get used in games, the cards might come in useful in setting the theme.  Using cards in wargames to add extra information isn't new of course.  However, when I used cards in this way a few years back - with various games set in the Great War - I felt I added too much text.  So I've limited the text on the cards to what is hopefully the essential items.

The Sentries

First to enter the Challenge, at an appropriately sedate and slow pace it has to be admitted, are two Flemish sentries, guarding one of the many small villages clustering in the shadows of the spires of the City of Laarden.  



I wanted to give the idea of a couple of figures which looked vigilant in their own, slightly complacent, way.  Both are 28mm Wargames Foundry figures.  





I added the 28mm rabbit, no doubt eating some of the village crops, to show just how wide awake, or not, the sentries are.


And, to get me started on the Challenge Map, I'm hopeful that I can count the russet-red-coated sentry and my toll for landing on Sander's Sand-Dunes, and also for my entry Curtgeld for this Challenge!  So, someone will be receiving a slightly sleepy Flemish sentry at some point.
  
Challenge location #1, done!

And here's the Sentry Card for Laarden Character number one.


"The Harvest Goose"

Next up, there's a small group of figures for any tavern, all in 28mm from Midlam Miniatures.  These are lovely figures, in old-style 28mm, with no flash or casting-lines.  







I swapped out the head of the tavern keeper (adding a Redoubt head, which looked more Flemish), and gave Roosje, the tavern lass, longer hair (an unruly mass of auburn curls) and a demure cloth headscarf.  Both the extra hair and headscarf were greenstuffed onto the figures.  I liked the idea that the tavern lass has added the headscarf while her arms are resolutely uncovered - some form of youth rebellion going on there, no doubt, even in 1688.

And Laarden Character card number two...



The Herald

Finally, I wanted to add something vaguely menacing and French to this group of characters, and came up with the idea of a Herald of France.  I've always liked the idea of an army sending forward a herald to parley and negotiate with an enemy force, either in the field or prior to a siege.  The French diplomacy employed before the 1672 Dutch War was skillful, subtle and, at times, aggressive.  



Even in the slightly loopy world of the 1688 Laarden campaign, I wanted to add a French character who might weave comparable diplomatic triumphs as the French forces take to the field.  

And, obviously, being French and from Versailles, the noble entrusted to be the Herald of Le Roi Soleil looks - well, anything but martial.  




The figure is from Dixon Miniatures,  in 28mm, with lots of greenstuff added for an over-elaborate wig, clusters of shoulder lace, shoe-ribbons and a large cravat.  I added the Warbases cockerel because .... preening, French, etc.  I'm sorry - I know, not subtle, but fun!

And here's the Laarden Character card for number three.... OK, so you get the idea.  Stay tuned until the end of Challenge X and collect the full set.... !


As for the points scoring:

30 points for the six 28mm Foot figures
No points for the bunny, which the un-attentive sentry didn't see anyway.
Maybe 1 point for the cockerel, because its noisy and French
25 Bonus Points for my Entry Fee figure.
30 Points for completing Sander’s Sand-Dunes.

TOTAL = 30+25+30+1(maybe) =86 Points


_____________________

Sid, your debut, while perhaps modest in number is thunderous in its sheer imagination, sense of fun and quality.

Like many here and on the blogosphere I am a huge fan of you Laarden world, and count myself very fortunate to have a few bespoke figures from your talented hands. Wow, the cards the background the figures, they are all so fun and wonderfully executed. While the Herald is a definite crowd pleaser, and probably the epitome of the French to any Faragist, I have to say my favourite is the triptych of Roelf, Agnes and Roosie, the tavern staff of The Harvest Goose. They are so marvellously characterful. As close second would be the sentry with the cheeky rabbit (I love the bristly, autumnal crop!). I also really like the cards - they really help to set the stage for the figures.

As to points, you are spot on, but I will add a few more for the subtle but deft conversions.

Welcome back to the Challenge, Sidney!

-Curt





19 comments:

  1. Lovely work Sidney! realy like this bunch especialy the civilians

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outstanding work Sid! As always it’s a great pleasure to read more details about the going ons in Laarden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! Fantastic painting and wonderful utility as battlefield characters.
    Great job Sidney!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely characters, Sidney, and great embellishments with the old greenstuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nicely done and a great story to go with these fab figures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are magnificent! Tons of character!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always love to see and hear what’s going on in Laarden Syd. Great work all around, but I do like to see the fowl of the town. That sentry would be a great reward for a trip up the mountain.



    I

    ReplyDelete
  8. Been looking forward to this, it's been an inspiration for my much smaller japanese village. Awesome as always and love the cards

    ReplyDelete
  9. That Herald is the absolute business. The cards are a great idea to add to the setting too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful work Sidney!!Really enjoy all the extras you put into each post.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very good brush work, I specially like the noble. Excellent use of the pastel colors

    ReplyDelete
  12. Splendid painting and your usual wonderful backstory for all the figures!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a splendid group of characters, love em

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another very good entry from Master Roundwood, this is such a well thought out and executed set of figures it's mind-numbing! I also like the way you've used the old Dutch way of writing, brilliantly done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely gorgeous work as ever Sid. Love the characterisation, especially "mildly patriotic" and "insufferably French" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. A stunning entry, both in terms of painting and creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely stuff; I’m particularly taken by the crop and rabbit!

    ReplyDelete