Sunday 22 December 2019

From JasperO: Gunboat Diplomacy (66 Points)

I always try not to be the worst sucker for the 'new and shiny', but Warlord's Black Seas models got me right in the feels. They are not so big that I get visions of my dad building his Billing Boats Wasa model over a period of years, not so small that I get feelings of inadequacy (and foreboding about handling) when trying to put rigging on those absolutely lovely Langton Miniatures ships.


I completed several ships and brigs together before this year's Challenge started, but the introduction of Challenge Island suggested an easy project to start with. 'Douglas' Shallows' are, presumably, not very accessible for the Third Rates currently on the stocks - they would have too much draft. Gunboats, however, would not have such issues and have the added advantage that I could actually finish them quickly enough to complete and post before GuyB and MarkB. We're not competitive of course, but it'd be nice to mention on the next WSS podcast...


The models are the Warlord Gunboat Squadrons (each base represents one) in 1/700 scale in resin (base with ships) and metal (masts with sails). Points though, I'm not very sure about. Hence the diplomacy in the title. Is that negotiable? :-D


__________________________

Oooh, those are really quite fabulous, Jasper. I've managed to quickly look away whenever I've seen an advertisement for 'Black Seas', but I think my will is crumbling. 

I really like the groupings on the bases and how you've done both the water and sails. Very clean work and evocative of the period. Just looking at these little ships brings great memories of all those Aubrey/Maturin books I devoured while avoiding writing papers in university. How do you find the rules? Inquiring minds want to know.

As to points, hmm, let's pitch them close to how we've scored 1/600 modes in the past. That would place them around 12 points per base, making a grand total of 66 points, including the bonus for completing 'Douglas' Shallows'. Well done Jasper!

17 comments:

  1. Ooh those are welcome in my shallows any day! Love those Jasper.
    I’ve looked away from Black Seas, the details and rigging at that scale are beyond my skill set and patience. So we’ll done you for diving in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Black Seas is a tempting looking game. Seeing nicely painted minis like these doesn't make it any easier to resist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Jasper. The sails are outstanding

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh beautiful work. Most impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely looking gun boats!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work, love a bit of Naval

    Regards Ken

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work I've also gotten swept up in the Black Sales and this is impresive work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now these are some lovely looking boats there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Black Seas is high on my painting agenda, too, though my gunboats aren't a patch on yours. Lovely work. I expect to see fleetfuls of excellent entries in the next three months.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely work Jasper. I was consodering replacing the gun boats in my French fleet with alternate models, but your painting has convinced me to give the models a try

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are very nice, I'm not sold on Black Seas but you've done a fab job on them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice Jasper, the basing really sets them off very well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are lovely, Jasper! I can almost smell the salt spray with the work on the bases! ;) sweet batch of gunboats! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I keep looking at that rule set and have been able to avoid them so far.... but you are making that harder.... awesome painting!

    ReplyDelete