Sunday 22 December 2019

From PaulO: Camel Caravan (70 points)

Abdulla musters his caravan and prepares to depart his home (terrain not part of the submission)
My first entry for this year's challenge comprises my first ever Ships of the Desert! I've painted them up for use as a scenario objective or for baggage elements in Crusades era gaming, though they would also work with some Beau Geste type French Foreign Legion gaming in North Africa, or amongst the Redcoats in Afghanistan.




These doughty chaps are also my first step onto Challenge Island. I was hoping to be the first to unload camels onto Docherty's Docks, but instead of being first-est I will content with being the most-est thus far: I hope the harbour master is content with them!



These lovely models are from Castaway Arts in Northern Queensland (http://www.castawayarts.com.au/) - this makes them Australian Camels! Did you know that Australia has approximately half a million feral camels?  Introduced in the 19th Century to support exploratory expeditions, species of Bactrian Camels and Dromedaries now live wild in the Outback. Indeed, Australia now has a thriving live export business selling stock to the Middle East!  Perhaps these are the first Australian camels to be exported to AHPC :-)



Army Painter Desert Yellow undercoat worked well for the camels, followed by a wash and some highlights. This saved quite a bit of time and let me focus on the colours and patterns on the bagge to bring the group to life.

Great to get my first entry in before the Christmas mayhem begins. Points wise I suggest that these count as 4 x mounted figs noting the stowed baggage and rider for 40 points, plus the 30points for a Challenge Island location.


_______________________________

Haha! This is absolutely brilliant, Paul - love it. Sarah and I just read an article about Austrailian feral camels. Wow, who knew?! And I love that you folks now export them to the Middle East. That's just bonkers.

I really like your colours for these and will be shamelessly stealing your recipe for my upcoming stab at these. I also really enjoy the vibrant colours of their baggage and the the clothes of their drover. Brilliant.

70 points will put you in a nice position for your debut entry. Cracking work, Paul.

36 comments:

  1. Very nice indeed. I think the luggage is a nice contrasting touch too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter - a different approach to my usual style but I'm pleased with the result

      Delete
  2. Top work, will keep chief camel herder happy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see you found the quick way of the camel! .. love em!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you missed out on First-est, but you definitely got most-est and best-est. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Stuart - loved yours as well and now want to get that figure for this caravan too!

      Delete
  5. Smart looking baggage train you have there

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovin' the Camels! Beautifully painted Sir!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice fur tones, and great to support Aussie companies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. Yes, we don't get that many opportunities to do so do we!

      Delete
  8. Great looking camel train!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent camels. Fine looking beasts (and the camels look good too).

    ReplyDelete
  10. If DaveD lies them they must be good, knows his Camels that lad !
    Regards Ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He sure does Ken, but I suspect you're no slouch yourself!

      Delete
  11. Nice work on these camels! Fine Australian steeds obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are great - very well-painted, but also just so cool! A caravan game set in the Crusades would be fantastic...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beauties!

    Could I ask, which range are they from? I'm frantically trying to find the rider but can't seem to place him in their cartalogue?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh Hump-day comes early this time, great looking camels mate!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The pack of camels is really grand, Paul! I like the colorful parcels on them too. Merchant or smuggler? He has quite a haul! The building back drop is really nice with the colorful sunshade.

    ReplyDelete