Sunday 22 December 2019

From Curt: Agnes Baker - 'The Waitress' (35 Points)


Hi All!

As I need to traverse the island for a future entry I've prepared this lass as my transit fee on Sarah's Balloon. 




This is Agnes Baker, one of our favourite characters in Fantasy Flight Games' series of Cthulhu-themed games. As a backdrop I've included Agnes' character card from 'Mansions of Madness', but she is also featured in 'Eldritch Horror', 'Arkham Horror', 'Elder Sign' and the 'Arkham Horror - The Card Game' (Yes, I am a bit of a Cthulhu fanboi, er, cultist).




To many, Agnes is just a simple waitress, working shifts at Thelma's Diner in Arkham, but little do they know that behind that placid demeanour Agnes is in fact a powerful reincarnated witch from ancient times. In the game Agnes is quite kick-ass, using all sorts of nasty arcane magic, and with the right 'build' can be quite the combat monster.


This figure is from the 'Mansions of Madness' boxed set, which produces its characters and monsters in a semi-soft plastic. They can be a little hit-or-miss in definition and mold quality, but Anges is one of the better ones. I painted her to resemble the art on her character card and chose to use a fairly punchy colour palette to help players spot her on the tabletop.

I have few other ladies from Arkham waiting in the painting queue, but I'll need to be judicious in doling them out for my anticipated air travel (sort of like AirMiles).



Where will I be going for this balloon journey? Hmm, I think 'Bromley's Butte' looks quite interesting and is reportedly supposed to have great views of the Island - I'll have to do a... reconnaissance. See you when I land!

-Curt


37 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes, she's a bit of a dish. Then again I always fall for the ancient-sorceress-masked-as-a-waitress type. It's a thing.

      Delete
    2. aren't they all ancient sorceresses

      Delete
    3. Unfortunately, many of the ones I encounter are simply ancient...

      Delete
  2. Nice stuff. She is a bit of a powerhouse. I’m hoping to do some Mansions entries later this Challenge if the order arrives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh excellent, I look forward to seeing what you do with them.

      Delete
  3. Very nicely done!!. I have the card game, not the boardgame and I'm enjoying a lot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The card game is brilliant, though prepping the decks can be a bit of a chore - I need one of those sleeved binder thingys like PhilH has to keep everything straight.

      Delete
  4. She looks splendid! No idea about the game but great painting!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. btw, only 25 points for Sarah's Balloon entries?

      Delete
    2. Late night pilot error, thanks for pointing it out.

      Delete
  6. Lovely work on Agnes Curt, I look forward to seeing on table shortly. You've likely got a lot of tickets for Balloon 🎈 trips in those various game boxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. Yes, if I get them all done I'll be an AeroPlan Gold Member on Sarah's Balloon Line.

      Delete
  7. That's a lovely individual figure, nicely done.

    Regards Ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how some games can revolve around a single figure while others require a creaking tableload. Both have their virtues, but the preparation for a game can be a bit glaring. No wonder skirmish style games have taken the hobby by storm.

      Delete
  8. In my Arkham Card Game group, Agnes is my friend’s favoured character. Running joke is that she spends the whole scenario drawing cards to find Shrivelling, meanwhile the other two of us charge around killing all the monsters and solving the mystery.

    Very nice version here MrC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yes, it seems every group has at least one of those players. We have one who is so risk-adverse it's rather funny. 'Now, Curt, I think you should investigate that dark foreboding room while I check under the rugs here and polish my 45 automatics.' ;)

      Delete
  9. She doesn’t really look like a powerful witch of old But I guess with all the beauty products nowadays she doesn't need to anymore. Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkham is in America! Where even witches can reimagine themselves (or that's what the old travel brochures used to say - the place is under new management so all bets are off). ;)

      Delete
  10. Lady Sarah’s Balloon Service is very pleased to have as Agnes as her first passenger on Challenge Island.
    Environment Canada forecast for the Island is for overcast skies and light snow .... but as we ascend above the cloud coverage it will be clear sailing to Bromleys’ Butte. 🎈Up up and away!🎈

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! Let's huddle around the heater and break out the champagne and cheese to help while away the journey.

      Delete
  11. Well done dude, the characters in these games are always fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks duderino. Yes, I love all of the characters in the series - even the lousy ones! :)

      Delete
  12. My family love the Mansions of Madness games, but our figures remain bare plastic. You've perhaps inspired me to add yet another box of figures to the "pending" pile... Great work, Curt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm delighted to have inspired you, Noel!

      Delete
  13. Lovely looking mini. Enjoy the view from up in the balloon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome figure Boss, I do like you have provided us with some of her background and games stuff as well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A rather fetching lady. Not familiar with the game but this figure will certainly generate interest (possibly even in the game)!

    ReplyDelete
  16. She looks grand, Curt, and not a day over 30*! ;)
    Nice hues on her and although I miss your basework which inspired me to go beyond simple black plastic, I know those clear resin bases are not easy nor simple!** ;)
    I'm always nice generous to my waitress as she is the keeper of that magical elixir coffee***!


    * 30-35 years is always the safe bet if you are conned into that trap of picking a lady's age.
    ** a dab of precise glue amount...steady, steady, steady,...don't fall, don't fall...
    ***my wife used to be a waitress and besides keeping my coffee cup full, I'm aware of all the things they can do to bad customers...

    ReplyDelete