Monday 27 January 2020

From KatrinaS: 28mm '92 Eldar Warlock Burch's Bluffs (35 Points)

I was unsure on how to proceed with the map so I just moved to the next location which was Burch's Bluffs. To be honest with all of you, I don't really game much more than a quick historical skirmish, so this Warhammer 30K/40K universe stuff is a bit over my head.

I showed my husband the map and he quickly disappeared into our miniature room and returned with a single Eldar Warlock with a Force Staff. He said "I must have been saving this for you". He purchased the miniature back in 1992 (he was 7) from Book and Game in Bend, Oregon (which is no longer around) and held onto it for all these years.

Since I am not well versed with the Warhammer 30K/40K universe, I am going to argue from what I have read that because of how ancient the Eldar are, living more than a thousand years, and their advanced neurological system in turn possessing far superior technological advancements to the rest of the Imperium, it is possible for the Eldar/Aeldari to be present during the Horus Heresy. Although much of the lore has the Eldar relatively uninvolved in the Heresy, players of 30K seem to accept the idea of Eldar participating as Xenos factions in games. Therefore, this Eldar Warlock could as easily fit in the 30K universe as the 40K universe.

Because LVO was happening this weekend I took a little longer than I had intended, but none the less he is completed for the Burch's Bluffs space on Challenge Island.

So here he is...

I ended making his cloak the same color as the original box art but was not digging the bright red mask so I went with black and added contrasting eyes.

I also added contrasting teal to the gun, force staff and gems.

I attempted a non metallic approach to the armor and think it turned out okay.

I ended up using a new pigment on the base and think it fits the theme well and the color scheme. 

Here is what I started with. Do you notice the oval shaped solid metal base? Not a normal GW mold but it being from 1992 could be the reason. 

Katrina S. 

Points: 5pts= 28mm 30pts= Burch's Bluffs?  35pts?

***
Hi Katrina - fine brushwork, on a classic metal GW figure! I painted one of these myself, back in the late 1990s/early 2000s.  It is a lovely casting, and your fine brush skills have done it justice here.  Great colour selection...I can easily see an entire Guardian Warrior section painted up in matching colours, fine stuff.

You are correct, the Eldar don't typically pop up in 30k gaming - most of us 30k-types are more interested in the civil war aspect of the story, which pits the human(ish) loyalist and rebel forces against each other.  But the Heresy spans the entire galaxy, including all of the various alien races. Your reasoning is dead-on, the Eldar were of course present during the entire Horus Heresy - watching the whole thing from the sidelines, trying to work out how to impact things for their own benefit, and as such your figure is more than fitting to ascend Burch's Bluffs. 

A reminder - remember to use the labels on your post - since I was shot-gunning some Coke Zero I had the excess energy needed to cover it off this time - I'm sure you'll cover it on your next posting :)

Well done, that will be 35 points for you!

GregB

12 comments:

  1. Lovely painting Katrina. The NMM looks OK, but could do with a few bright highlights and deep shadows to really make the effect pop :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work. The teal is quite eye-catching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work Katrina and classic miniature painters thumb, millions of years of evolution and the thumb finds its perfect role....excess paint removal and tiny palette:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice job, the purple is an excellent choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A classic miniature - one of my fave Eldar pieces (can I say "fave" at my age?) - and really nicely painted. Personally, I wouldn't worry about the accuracy of historical fluff - if it makes sense to you, then just do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely looking eldar warlock! Very nicely done!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work Katrina. I like the turquoise colour you used for the gems and staff furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work on a wonderful old Citadel mini <3

    ReplyDelete