Monday 27 January 2020

From Iannick : A Mother's Love at Mudry's Mesa (45 Points)

After finally joining the fun last week and enjoying a nice relaxing, although unfortunately dry, balloon ride, I land on Mudry's Mesa. I've been told of the wonders and dangers that awaits those who visit the Challenge Island, and I am not disappointed!

Barely 50 meters in front of me stands a female Owlbear. The animal, which populates large parts of Faerun, Allansia, Krynn, and many more worlds, is a stunning sight. Larger than a grizzly, usually foul tempered, this particular animal seems on the lookout, its head prowling left and right. For a moment I wonder why this beast seems so stressed. Is it hunting? But then the large creature turns, and I understand! And I feel so privileged to be able to witness such a wondrous scene, as two cubs prance and run around their mother without a care in the world. The cutest creatures you will ever see! And to think that, in barely a few years, these will transform into fearsome apex predators that will terrorize numerous party of adventurers!



As I hide in the bushes and take pictures of these marvelous creatures, I smile; this trip was definitely worth the price of entry.



A stop on Mudry's Mesa was an easy decision for me, since I've received around two weeks ago a little set of figures I was dying to paint! In the last two years or so I've been buying a lot less miniatures, mostly because I feel like I have to work on my leadpile a little (so many great projects, unfinished or often not even started) but here and there I get tempted. And Dark Sword miniatures is often one of those evil temptress. And that's how Iannick, on Christmas day, bought this fantastic little set. 

Nothing special or original about the painting scheme, but I am quite happy with the results. The Owlbear is obviously a RPG classic, and I'm looking forward to using these figures in a game. It's a lot easier to kill the big bad owlbear and gain the XP when you don't have to do it in front of its children, hey? Moral dilemmas are always loads of fun in RPGs.

Point wise, that would be :
  • One Owlbear (lets call it a 40mm? It is a big one) for 7pts
  • Two Owlbear cubs (small ones, 20mm?) for 8 pts
  • Plus the points for the Mesa (30pts)
So 45 pts. Next up, I love the smell of Heresy in the morning...

***

Wow, another RPG classic here for us to enjoy! This is a great entry Iannick, very, very cool and I'm sure the many fantasy and RPG fans out there will enjoy this one!

45 points? Sure! Sounds right to me. Well done. 

GregB

13 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I've never heard of an owlbear, but then I've never played RPG's either. Looks like now I need me one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesomeness Iannick, great to see you get into things mate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work on the classic RPG monsters, I love the cubs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic, the little cubs/chicks are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Owlbear? Haven't heard that for a while, yours is excellent and the pups are a great touch!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Owlbear! Brilliant stuff and two little 'uns too? just brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful! I really love these figures, and such an original subject, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many thanks for the kind comments!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this. I especially like the mom's face and eyes. Great brushwork Iannick!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely texture on the Owlbear's fur!

    ReplyDelete