Monday 27 January 2020

From SebastianR: Catching Air On Hawkins' Hill (40 points)

The engine roared as we reached the edge of the mound and departed, the tracks running freely in the air. My stomach lurched and my bag left the seat as my driver whooped with joy. We cleared the crevasse and the tracks slammed into the dirt; the suspension on the road wheels absorbed the shock, more or less, but I was still almost thrown out of my seat.

We tore into the dirt and continued to drive into the foothill below Hawkins' Hill.

My driver had promised a quick ascent, but he hadn't mentioned anything about the smoothness of the ride, and his vehicle was as dated and oddball as the rest of the equipment on this island. It appeared to be the remnant of some long-ended war, designed by a committee who did not understand what it was like to be shot at.

Nevertheless, I'd heard rumors of a significant badger infestation, and hadn't wanted to fight my way through them. From time to time I spotted their spoor or the shredded carcass of some beast which had wandered into their territory.

***

Finding a miniature prepared at least 3 years ago was harder than I expected. I had some Para jeeps, also in 15mm for Flames, but they already had a base coat, and not just an undercoat. So here we are; the spotter carrier for... I want to say... the 25-pounder battery? Now entirely worthless with the latest edition, but still.


Again, for technical reasons the mini will be flocked at a later date - as well as have anti-shine varnish applied.


All in all, a simple paint job, one that I've applied to most of my WWII vintage British vehicles.


From my previous run in the Challenge I make that 40 points. 30 for the challenge, 8 for the vehicle and 2 for the chap in the drivers seat.


***

Nice work Sebastian. It was great that you managed to excavate something for this location.   can't speak to the utility of this vehicle in any current edition of the Flames of War rules - but if they are not that good, I wouldn't worry, you can expect a new version of the rules should be along any time now. :) 

40 points it is, well done!

9 comments:

  1. "struggled to find something 3 years old"? I salute your willpower! nice job on this little chap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work, Sebastian. I don't know how you can have a collection that's less than 3 years old - I've hundreds of figures that are at least 13 years languishing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking carrier! What do you mean having difficulty finding things primed over 3 years ago? Is that a thing?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strugggled? Oh dear, this hill is not for the likes of you.

    Anyway, how could you leave this cute little carrier languishing in the lead hillock for so long? Glad he gets to join his big guns.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blimey! I have a pile of stuff that's well over three years old that's prepped and probably never going to see paint :>(

    Great work on the Carrier

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still have figures primed for the very first challenge I took part in... and these are not even the oldest.
    Be that as it may, a very fine carrier you got yourself there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work. You obviously need to prime a bunch of stuff and let it "age" properly.

    ReplyDelete