Monday 27 January 2020

From MartinC - Endings, Beginnings and Something Weird (180 Points)

It's always nice to come to the end of an army. Obviously armies are never completed but the drawer is full and so I will consciously stop buying figs for my Norman army, bargains excluded. My last unit was these crossbowmen.

They are Foundry (I think)


I like painting chainmail, undercoat with black and then dry brush with metal colour. Nothing fancier than that but it makes them just shiny enough.

As the Challenge started I realised 2 things: I'm coming to the end of my lead mountain and could think of no new projects to start. I had enough figures for the challenge but then I was pretty much dry.

I did have 4 late Roman cavalry figures, Northstar Lucky Bag - I miss lucky bags, and so I painted them up.

2 armoured and 2 unarmoured. Late Roman shield designs are ridiculous and these were the simplest I could paint.

Nice Figs

Then I had a Damascene moment (I do like the word Damascene... Damascene). I had loads of Picts - absolutely loads and Stig and Stu from the club were painting up some Late Romans and Footsore were having a sale.


So 4 cataphracts. Very nice and menacing on black horses with black tack.

Red and black always work well and random gold plates onthe armour is always fab.

Armoured Cavalry - chi rho design on the shields.


So obviously I bought loads of others, mainly from Ebor Miniatures as they are nice figs and less than £1 each if you by a unit. Still need loads more but I have a new project.

Finally the weird. DaveD has bought Gaslands and so I went toy shopping and bought some toy cars for £1 each - toy cars are a bargain. I've added guns to most of them and have yet to paint them but for 1 I went weird. There is is terrible movie called Monster Trucks about octopus-like creatures that live on oil and help the hero beat the evil oil company by becoming one with his beaten up truck and making it fab. So i had tentacles and I had a truck.


Told you it was weird. Think it will have a grapple attack - is there a grapple attack in Gaslands?


Failing that I will stick oil drums in the back and the rear tentacles can throw them at people. This isn't the weirdest vehicles i have planned

8x28mm foot = 40
12x28mm cav = 120
1x20mm truck with tentacles = 15mm

Total = 175pts plus handpainted shield bonus

Right I have some Romans to paint.

***
Well, that's one way to take on "big oil", I suppose.  Thanks Martin for this very eclectic submission, this is very nicely done.  I do love the look of those Footsore figure, particularly their Late Romans. Romans are so cool - why am I not painting Romans yet? 

Thanks Martin for kicking us off this morning, very nice.  I'll toss in a few extra points for the shields, and you continue to add to your impressive points tally. 

GregB


15 comments:

  1. Nice work Martin - love the cephalotruck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, cephalotruck is my new favourite word

      Delete
  2. Nice weird truck, good looking crossbow men and your Roman's are excellent, I am gearing up to start late Romans, no doubt by the time I start painting you will have painted an army!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, great looking cavalry (nice job on the shields btw). You watch some very weird movies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing weird in this post whatsoever! I really like that truck, best not let ARthur see it or he'll want one too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post Martin, that truck is sick in many different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The end of an army?!?!? what horror is this? Must be a great feeling to have enough to use for that particular period though. Nice diverse set of horsemen too and I do like the crazy truck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers, "finished". I said that about by ACW and now have a division each side in 28mm

      Delete
  7. Nice work.

    The Norman Crossbowmen are from Crusader.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the cav, and that octotruck is crazy!

    ReplyDelete