Wednesday 29 January 2020

From NoelW: How do you spell "ford"? : Fran’s Fjord (104 points)



I thought a ford was a path across a river, not a river blocking a path. And what a river! Those hurtling waterfalls must be plunging the best part of a thousand feet down to that rushing water. A howling gale blows up the ragged valley, wailing like a banshee who’s stubbed her toe. Trees have been torn away by falling rock, and any stumps that were left have gone with the wind.

I fall to my knees, exclaiming: “Fran, my dear, what would I give for a dam!”

Or a bridge.

Or, well, I suppose that balloon would do…

---

In my quest to visit every location on the island, I’d left Fran’s Fjord till near the end, because I was pretty sure I had no 15mm sci-fi, and my only Imagi-nations projects are 28mm. I’ve been searching through ancient boxes and long-sealed cupboards in a vain hope that I’d find some lost figure I’d forgotten about. In fact, I found several, but none that fitted the bill. Then…

Pretty much the last thing you want to see when you open a drawer is a scurrying horde something like this (you'll have to imagine them unpainted):


I’d forgotten we’d a few painted 15mm Traveller figures, and then bought a few aliens to oppose them. But I’m sure we’ve never had this many. Four or five models perhaps, but now… How can there be so many? There’s two cute little baby aliens:


their many, many sibling aliens


and these seven Mummy and Daddy aliens. Which perhaps give an explanation -they must’ve been breeding in there. 


Here’s the whole force (37 figs):


Painting these was quite easy, but also quite satisfying. Essentially, I didn’t undercoat them, but washed them with a thin black, so the bare metal still showed through, then a wash of a thinned green, then another wash of black and finally gloss varnish. Not elaborate, but quite a successful finish, I think:



Scoring: 37 x 15mm figs: 74pts, Fran’s Fjord: 30 pts = 104 pts

From DaveD. Oh dear thats the stuff on nightmares....I dont fancy the oppositions chances

13 comments:

  1. That worked well. I'm off to tuck my trousers into my socks now

    ReplyDelete
  2. Creepy creepy stuff. Well done on the painting and on the horrible pun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta love some xenos - another fine day in the Corps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely horrid work! Yeuch!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these. The oily olive green you went with is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are fantastic! Do you know who made them (and for what game)? My Kings of War army needs some.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice idea on the innovative paint technique!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nuke the paint bench from orbit - it's the only way to be sure!
    ; )
    Terrific stuff!

    ReplyDelete