Sunday 2 February 2020

From SamuliS: I love the smell of warpfire in the morning! (50points)

Moving on from Sander's Sand Dunes I head of towards Millsy's Millpond with an offering of old(hammer) Skaven. I'm pretty sure these warpfire throwers came out during the 4th edition of Warhammer Fantasy so somewhere during the mid-90s.

I actually haven't had these minis for that long as I only really had a couple of old models left from when I was a kid and started Warhammer Fantasy. Most of the minis for my Oldhammer Skaven army have been bought from ebay and various facebook sales groups and these warpfire throwers are no exception. They were actually bought last March from ebay alongside some other older models. Like a lot of my purchases this was done while on a business trip and sitting in a hotel lobby bar browsing ebay and online stores while drinking beer and trying to pass the time.


The whole project was kicked of a bit over two years back with Total War Warhammer 2 coming out and with Skaven being a playable race it instantly rekindled my interest in the little ratmen. I dug out what was left of my old minis and started planning an army. Originally I was just going to paint the couple of older metal minis for nostalgia's sake and then have the rest of the army be the newest plastics, but it turned into a full on Oldhammer project quite fast. The first mini I painted for the army was actually my entry for the Childhood bonus round of the eighth challenge. After that there wasn't much progress for a while before I really kicked things forward late last spring and now I have most of the core already done and have lately started painting some of the special units like these warpfire throwers.


As the skaven are a horde army I've kept my paint scheme fairly simple. Most colours are just a basecoat and a wash so a lot of different brownish shades as they work pretty nicely with just a wash and no highlights. The skin gets highlighted to add a some detail to the minis and to draw the eye there and hopefully making the whole force seem like it's painted to a better standard than it really is. The main army colour of green is also highlighted as it doesn't really work that great with washes.

With these crazy warpfire wielding rats I should get another 50 points to my tally. 30 from the next step on the challenge island and then 20 for the 4 28mm figures on show. Three tasks completed and now time to think which one I should tackle next. I'll probably take another balloon ride as I don't think I have any suitable subjects for Benito's Brook. Maybe I can find something by digging around the stash for random miniatures.


Lovely work on these rat-men Samuli, it's great to see these old projects come back to life.  These warp-fire thingies look like a match for mister handful-of-potato-masher-grenades and the lets-open-up-with-the-flamethrower-while-prone team. 

I like your technique using a base browns plus washes with highlights on key areas.  It works a charm on these lads.  I agree on points.  Now lets see if I can hack past Miles security system to rack them up properly.

11 comments:

  1. Nice ratly weirdness Samuli :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice... whatever they are (I'm ot a fantasy guy)... the green makes a good contrast

    ReplyDelete
  3. More lovely Oldhammer goodies. Nice work on these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking ratmen special weapons team!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah - these take me back, Samuli. I no longer have skaven, but the army of warpfire and doomwheels and assassins - there's nothing like them. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some classic figures here. Well done Samuli.
    I loved your description of how these were acquired...I'm about to travel for business this week, so I'm sure to add some more figures to my own massive pile in similar fashion :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent work Samuli - love these old sculpts. I can appreciate your travel shopping. Whenever we go on vacation I end up having a boatload of parcels waiting for us when we get back. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do like the Skaven! Great work-work!

    ReplyDelete