Sunday 2 February 2020

From MartinC - 28mm Late Romans (170 pts)

Why are the Romans never punctual, I have early Romans and I now have Late Romans (see below) but I've never seen just in time Romans.


1st up some armoured infantry. As usual I handpainted the shields and there are loads of early Christian symbols I can use. It has just struck me that the Romans have Christian Shields and Pagan Dragon Pendants - weird. The figures are from Ebor Miniatures, more famous for floppy hat chaps, and a complete bargain at £24 for the regiment with all the spears. There was no swarf and all the bases came pre-sanded

The figures are a nice height but a little skinny, think Perry, but do fit with Footsore


To go with these I have 8 Footsore archers


These will go with my few cavalry so far and form the backbone of my burgeoning Late Roman army but I do need to buy some more, I nearly won some on a ebay auction but the prices get too close to full price. Luckily its Hammerhead in a month, the 1st outing of the For Joshua battle and loads of opportunities to buy stuff - I've nearly run out (2 months of painting left then I'm out of toys!!!!!!)

Scores on the Doors

32 x 28mm infantry = 160 plus lovely shield and flag bonus

Nice bunch of Fashionably Late Romans Martin.  I'll agree I've never seen the Bang on Time Romans but am familiar with the Early Imperial Romans (crap  what are they doing arriving now- finish setting the table and get dressed).  Fine work indeed. 

Heavens out of toys to paint - best get out the MonsterCard.  Isn't there a show somewhere up North this Sunday?

I'm in a generous mood given my recent promotion to Minion and I always like to encourage hand painted shields.  Therefore I'll bump you up 10 points for some nice shields and a draco standard (is this really a flag technically?)

19 comments:

  1. These are lovely Martin.
    I had no idea that Ebor did late Romans. They are a project where I collect miniatures and paint nothing, so maybe not such an idea to find that out ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They only do these and an unarmoured version. to be honest they look a little flat, like the mould was closed too tightly, spear shafts are oval for example. But they are perfectly good enough. Buy MORE!

      Delete
    2. Says the man who has run out of stuff to paint.

      Delete
    3. I know. My excuse is I paint too quickly as I'm running out of periods

      Delete
  2. A Roman is never early or late, my dear sir. He arrives just when he intends to. Just like a wizard, really.

    Very nice Timely Roman figures, nevertheless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely looking late Romans! I'll have to look at ebor too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers, i've never had bad stuff from them. Should be on commission

      Delete
  4. Nice job, the green is very well done and looks different from most Romans I see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, that probably means I got it wrong. There is very little evidence abou tthe Roman Army at that time so I feel the need to freestyle

      Delete
  5. Nice Romans, Martin. I don't know Ebor, so will now check them out. Back to the top of the table, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. Top,for now. Enor interesting. Massive WSS selection and then random other stuff

      Delete
  6. Always love to see more Roman content - early, late or otherwise! Well done Martin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work Martin. I really like the shields and the Draco standard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice greens! Now I won't be able to think of Romans without thinking about their punctuality...

    ReplyDelete