Tuesday 17 March 2020

From Curt: Dutch Red Lancers for 'Hawkin's Hill' (155 Points)


Sarah's Balloon sets me down upon picturesque 'Hawkin's Hill'. Here, our pal Phil asks us to finish something that we've had sitting around for three years or more.

Looking through my out-of-control lead stores, I'm ashamed to say sourcing figures for this task was nooo problem at all, in fact it was more about prioritizing what I should do. Actually, as it turns out, it was no contest at all, as I've had something needing to be done for a very, very long time. So, I present here a regiment of Napoleonic cavalry, but not just any unit, but the 2nd Regiment of Guard Lancers, the 'Dutch Red Lancers' whose uniform is perhaps one of the most beautiful from that sartorially splendid period.


This post is special to me for a few reasons. 


First it's Napoleonic themed, which is wonderful in of itself as Napoleonics were my first 'wargaming crush' and I haven't done a proper regiment for ages. To me, the period is the most beautiful example of Paper, Scissors, Rock. In it, none of the martial arms had complete dominance, making for some very exciting military history, and the uniforms were the perfect blend of ostentatious beauty and brutal function. 

But, for me, the most important aspect of these particular figures is their background.

I received these models 10 years ago as a thank you gift from my very good friend Greg for standing up as a groomsman at his wedding. Yes, this year Linda and Greg will celebrate their 10th anniversary (congratulations you two!) and so I thought it high time to get these figures properly attended to before another decade slips by.

Sarah and I met up with Greg and Linda for a few days during their honeymoon in Paris. During our visit Greg and I spent a wonderful day at the Musee d'Armee at Les Invalides, where I think he became bitten by the Franco-Prussian War bug (such beautifully curated displays, wow). The museum also had a gorgeous example of a Dutch Lancer uniform which, in turn, prompted this gift of miniatures.


While I typically enjoy working on Napoleonic figures I absolutely dread painting cavalry, especially from units as ornate at the Dutch Lancers. True to form, these were complete swine to work on, with all their varied colours and intricate uniform detail. They almost gave me fits. I started them in the first week of the Challenge and barely managed to get them completed for our final run-in. And I still have another dozen of them waiting in the wings! (Earmarked for your 20th anniversary, Greg!) Well, all this being said, I'm pleased with how they turned out and they will be a wonderful addition to my French cavalry contingent. 



As an aside, during the past few days while I've been working on these, I've been listening to Bernard Cornwell's 'Waterloo, The History of Four Days, Three Battles and Three Armies'. I have to say I'm surprised at how crap it was for the most part as I really enjoy his fiction. Sadly, I found it very derivative of other, better written histories, and on the whole it read as an unabashed Wellington love-fest. It was actually pretty hard to take at times. It certainly doesn't hold a candle next to other recent monographs such as the brilliantly written 'Waterloo' by Mark Clayton (which I highly recommend to anyone interested in a balanced perspective of that campaign).



Anyway, forgive my self-indulgent book review. Here are the Dutch Red Lancers, all done and ready to skewer the enemies of the Emperor. 

Greg, thank you very much for these wonderful figures! The unit will be a wonderful memento of your wedding and of the great time we had in Paris!  

-Curt

***

Oh WOW, dude, these are truly breathtaking, just fantastic! It has indeed been ten years, and time has sure flown by. Paris is such an amazing city, and the Musee d'Armee was an incredible thing, and super cool to be able to visit it together with you. 

(And of course, I should note here that my wife of 10 years, Linda, is an incredible woman...I have no idea how she tolerates me, but I certainly consider myself blessed). 

I was moved as soon as I saw the post title, as I immediately recalled these figures, and to see them painted is just so great.  Your brush skills on them are top-shelf, just inspiring stuff, and the unit looks incredible.  I can certainly relate to how long a unit like this can take to finish - particularly cavalry.  But the results are beyond splendid. Seeing them makes me immediately want to crack out the 28mm Napoleonics for a game! 

Naturally this also makes me think of my wedding and of our time visiting in Paris...so just awesome, an excellent aspect to the hobby. Any time I see 28mm Napoleonic figures, I think of you and Sarah. It's a reminder of the ties we share beneath the hobby...many people might assume, with all of the painting late at night, that this hobby is about being by yourself, when in fact the opposite is true...each figure in my collection is inspired in some way not only by my (many and varied) interests, but the friends who will eventually join the game when the project is ready - in days, weeks, months or years.  Those friendships are with me when I sit late at night at the painting table, and I'm sure it is the same for other participants in the Challenge.

Well done my friend - I've added some extra points for the Challenge location, and just generally awesome paint job on one of the coolest-uniformed units of the Napoleonic era. Stunning stuff, thanks for sharing this (and thanks to the other Minions for leaving it for me to post).  I can't wait to see them live on the gaming table.

GregB

36 comments:

  1. Wow! Those look great excellent Curt!! I really do need to make a real attempt someday at Naps and this is inspiring.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Christopher. You had a great start with your Russian Napoleonics last year - it would be wonderful seeing you build upon that success.

      Delete
  2. Lovely lancer regiment Curt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are absolutely brilliant. The Dutch lancers are especially dear to me as, besides being Dutch myself, two of my ancestors served in the regiment and unfortunately perished in Russia. This is a very fitting tribute to one of the most iconic units of the era. Very well done indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is a sobering personal association. I'm happy you like my efforts with the unit (though it needs to have the other 12 to give it the appropriate 'heft'). The Dutch Lancer's uniform is one of my favourite of the period.

      Delete
  4. @Greg: Thanks for the wonderful comments, my friend. My apologies for taking so long to get them done, but it's certainly nice to finally see them in the display cabinet. I think we need to arrange an all-cavalry scrum between your Austrians and my French. Now, that would be a proper Donnybrook!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful unit, Curt! As always, a feast for the eyes, and your photography really brings out the detail as well.

    Well done mate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As always Curt, I am envious of your brushwork - especially when it comes to Napoleonics. For the next 12, you'll have to get the hacksaw out and replace the trumpeter's head with a colback to make a Trumpet Major.

    Totally agree with you about the Cornwell Waterloo book - a number of glaring errors (am I being cynical to suggest it was pushed out at the end of 2014 to cash in - sorry tie in - with the 200th anniversary?).

    Cheers
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you Richard, and thanks for the thumbs up on the lancers. Mmm, while I'm dangerous with a saw, I do love a good colpack...

      It's good to know I'm not the only one who had a rather dim view of the book - apparently, the rest of the world thought it was gospel (Gee, if that Sharpe chap says it's true then that's good enough for me.) I have to agree with you about the suspect timing on it's release. Methinks the Waterloo anniversary was seen as a fine opportunity to crack off an hackneyed history in order to pay off renovations to the summer home...

      Delete
  7. What a lovely looking regiment! Brilliant work on these, your skills with the brush means the colours don’t clash and the whole unit looks great. Corking backstory too and shows me that war gamers are the same with friendship being more important that lead mountains...... heck, friendships and other people’s excitement account for a large chunk of my lead pile and I wouldn’t have it any other way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Jamie. Yes, I agree with both you and Greg, this hobby may seem very solitary, but it can also be the source of great friendships as well.

      Delete
  8. Splendid brushmanship my friend! As you know I’m not into Naps but these fellas could almost tempt me into the period. Great bit of personal background to these figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick. I shudder at how good you'd be with Napoleonics. It would be a sight to behold. :)

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous painting on some splendid figures and a great backstory!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. ok so these are truely epic, wish I could paint like that

    ReplyDelete
  11. The story is an awesome tale of hobby comradery, the figures are a true tribute to your friendship. The painting is exceptional as is to be expected and shows off the figures really well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a glorious new regiment for the display cabinet. I’d dread going back to Napoleonics adter a long hiatus, but you’ve smashed the brushwork on the best dressed unit out of the park.

    And what a lovely story on their source. Happy anniversary this year Greg and Linda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Phil, and thanks again for providing the impetus for us to get on with these kinds of projects.

      Delete
  13. Love the good hats. Beautiful unit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete. Yes, it's all about those groovy czapskas.

      Delete
  14. truly wonderful, Curt - everything about this unit screams "huzzzzah!" The colours, the pennants, the basing, the horses. A true, Challenge X, tour-de-force. Marvelous, mon ami!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dofs cap: Thank you very much Sid. That is blushingly high praise coming from the Laarden master brushsmith himself. :)

      Delete