Tuesday 17 March 2020

From PeteF Sarah's Balloon: Shieldmaiden Warriors (30 points)


These four shieldmaiden's are from Bad Squiddo's 2018 Kickstarter. I primed them for Challenge IX. I got a few done back then and started some more (berserkers) - which were finished between Challenges. The slingers were completed in February (second balloon flight). There are four more (hearthguard) which will probably have to wait until after Challenge X - but who knows with all this isolation time at home?




The goal is to paint an all shieldmaiden army for SAGA Age of Vikings and Age of Magic. I love the Bad Squiddo sculpts - lots of character and room for decorative touches. I didn't paint tatoos on any of them yet but I'm thinking of adding some ink each time they win a battle.  A friend gave me a few V&V resin shieldmaidens - these are assembled and ready to paint but they are very brittle and have already lost some braids. Gripping Beast make some shiledmaidens and I may try them next - if anyone knows of any other manufacturers that make lady vikings that would fit with these let me know.




This is my third trip in Sarah's Balloon and I can't decide where to land - so if it's OK with the pilot we'll do a quick tour of the Island and come right back to Rousell's Sandhill. I'm celebrating the flight with this bottle of cider for the champagne points (not claimed on previous flights). Four foot figures for 20 points plus the champagne and 3rd flight bonuses for a total of 35.


By Paul:
Blackberry cider? sounds putrid! And you dare claim it to be the equivalent of the drink of Kings and Queens? What kind of bounder and cad are you Sir? Pistols and dawn you fiend! You'll be lucky if I dont take points OFF you overall...

Fortunately you've done a great job with the feisty lasses, so I'll let you off with a warning this time...

10 comments:

  1. Very nice work. I love Bad Squiddo and you did a great job on these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work on the figures, I'm a big fan of that range. I'm with Paul oil your choice of beverage, blackberry cider is an oxymoron like military intelligence or mandatory option. I am a big fan of cider but cider is made from apples period!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course it's up to the minion of the day to interpret the rules - however, blackberry flavoured cider is well within Lady Sarah's balloon related instructions, which even allow for non alcoholic beverages. To both Peter and Paul (and anyone else who would disparage our regional ciders) I extend you an open invitation to the Pacific Northwest when the current crisis is over. My local tap room had a most excellent peach infused cider last year. Keep an open mind - it was delicious. Of course hard ciders are apple based - but nothing in the rules of ciderology says you can't add flavour - or in the case of a good scrumpy such as Cripplecock have unidentifiable bits floating or suspended in it. One of my favourite drinks used to be the purple nasty - cider, lager and Ribena and Avid's blackberry concoction comes reasonably close. I love champagne but it gives me terrible heartburn. Peter, didn't John Oliver recently point out that spelling out punctuation does not, in fact, end an argument. Question Mark?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some splendid and stalwart shieldmaidens Pete - and don't listen to the naysayers, any beverage will qualify!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely looking shieldmaidens! Can't stand cider but that has more to do with teenage excess in alleys and an unfortunate experience with scrumpy in Glastonbury, plus working next to a cider factory outside Bath which had a pile of drowned rats over 6'0" high!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good lord, the life you've lived, Iain...

      Delete
    2. The rats were 6' high? I'm rethinking Scaven.

      Delete
  6. Some really good painting on these shieldmaidens!

    ReplyDelete