Friday 6 March 2020

From TamsinP: The Wonderful Thing About Tiggers... (45 points)

...is Tiggers are wonderful things!

And here are a bunch of them for you. Although some are actually meant to be Smilodons, which developed down a different path to modern big cats. But they look good and add some variety.



The one with the chain is from Battlezone miniatures, the other two are from North Star.





Two Smilodons and one tiger by Dee Zee Miniatures.




I seem to have lost most of the highlighting and shading on the "orange" coat. Initially it had looked too brown, so I airbrush-glazed some orange over them. They still looked too brown, so I gave them a second glaze coat. When I had started adding the white, I realised that the orange glaze had strengthened overnight and they were now quite a vivid orange, so I glazed them again with a light brown before highlighting the white. Unfortunately the three glazes seem to have been too much for the subtle highlighting and shading.

In case you are wondering what inspired this entry, the barbarians from Battlezone miniatures include a mounted hero riding a giant tiger. Which made me think "Hmm, a lesser/greater warbeast unit of tigers would be a fun addition to my barbarian warband.". And so I bought a second mounted "hero" (and an extra horse for him) so that I could have one giant tiger with a rider and one as part of the warbeast unit. After that I went looking for suitable tigers to add to the warband.

For keen followers of my blog, this also explains why I had painted twenty two riders but only twenty one horses. Here's the twenty second rider on his mount:


"Wearing just a furry loincloth and furry boots, waving a great big sword around, riding a giant tiger - I bet you think you're some kind of He Man!"





Finally, a shot of them all together:



And this completes my barbarian warband for now.

For scoring:
6 x 28mm foot @ 5 = 30 points
1 x 28mm mounted @ 10 = 10 points

Total = 40 points

From DaveD - Oh what a wonderful bunch of tiggers! I was expecting tanks- but these are better - 45 points it is...

18 comments:

  1. Tigers are indeed wonderful things, but the song says there’s supposed to be one! Great work on the stripes, Tiger camouflage patterns scare me out of painting four footed and tracked tigers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous tigers! I find tiger & Leopard fur so hard to do in a realistic manner. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They’re Grrrrrrrrrrrrrreat! As my friend Tony might put it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. While it may have taken you a bit longer to find satisfaction with the colours I think the final results are terrific. These barbarians really know how to ride out in style!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on these big cats Tamsin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the power of Greyskull! Great looking tigers and barbarian leader!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tiger tiger burning bright, who was it who set your tail alight!
    Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty Kitties!😺
    This Barbadian horde is really quite terrifying, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Dave - cheers! And these tiggers won't break down just as you need them! ;)

    @ Martin C - thanks! :)

    @ Pete F - cheers! They are fun. :)

    @ Peter D - thanks! The song does indeed say that, but songs can be wrong! ;)

    @ Mike W - cheers! Getting the stripes right was a pain, especially on the ones with textured fur. Not to mention trying to get them pretty symmetrical. :)

    @ Jamie - thanks! They are grrrrrreat! :)

    @ Ray - cheers, m'dear! :)

    @ Curt - thanks! Whilst I am happier with the orange now (it's no longer neon bright!) it is annoying that I lost the highlighting. :)

    @ Christopher S - cheers! :)

    @ rross - thanks! :)

    @ Adam C - cheers! :)

    @ Iain W - thanks! I always preferred Skeletor - He Man was such an a-hole when you look back at it [if you're on Facebook, look for "Grumpy Skeletor" - lots of ribbing there]. :)

    @ Will - cheers! :)

    @ Sarah - thanks, m'lady! They make the purrfect unit to complete the warband. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. No, no, no: the Tigger with the chap in loincloth on top should really really be painted green with yellow stripes! Otherwise these are sinply superb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I didn't say he was He Man, just asked if he thought he was some kind of He Man! ;)

      Delete
  11. Cracking stuff! Mistress of the Universe!

    ReplyDelete