Wednesday 23 December 2020

From StuartL - The Dead Have Risen From Their Graves - 222 points

Ok, this title makes a bit more sense than the last one

Years ago I played a fair bit of Warhammer Fantasy Battles and had quite a sizeable Undead army. However, I never got around to painting it and eventually passed it on to a friend who was keen on starting an Undead force. As things transpire, he never got around to painting it either and earlier this year gave it back to me as he needed the storage space. A bit of rebasing onto round bases and some cleaning up of older figures before the AHPC event, and I had my first non-chamber entry. There are a lot of zombies and ghouls in the box, but I have focused on the skeletons here.


These minis come in a wide variety of vintages. The above are all really old GW metal figures. The shields are from the newer plastic sets, as is the flail on the central figure as his original arm had broken.


These are all old plastics from when GW first released their skeleton army box, around 1990ish.


And some slightly newer (and chunkier) skeletons. These were all push fit minis and are quite static.


The bulk of the force is from the current range of plastics. They are all in a nice advancing pose, but they are fairly fragile. I have spent as much time regluing arms on as I have painting them I think.


This isn't a GW mini, it's from the D&D minis game from about 10 years ago. It's some kind of humanoid horse skeleton and is about twice the size of the other minis.


And here we have the force as a whole. 43 standard skeletons and 1 oversized equine thing. That should net me 215 points for the regular figures plus 7 for the D&D mini for a total of 222 points. 

Now, while that would certainly qualify me for a Squirrel point, I think that skeletons are perhaps the most generic of all fantasy minis. Since I plan on doing fantasy figures for at least two other games that these skeletons could technically fall into, I am going to pass on the Squirrel point for these. (Oooh, the overconfidence).

Between the skeletons' own noggins, the extra skullz hanging from the standards and the skull emblems on the shields, I count 69 Skullz between them.

So for my ongoing duels totals:
GW Points - 215
Skullz - 81
Squirrels - 0

17 comments:

  1. Wow Barks better crank up the Skullometer! Great bunch of skellies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. Nothing says 'skulls' quite like a mob of skeletons.

      Delete
  2. Very nice group of skeletons, and extra nostalgia points into the bargain. Love the blue accents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It was a toss-up between red and blue to be honest, I'm happy with the final result though.

      Delete
  3. Great looking mob of skeletons!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Splendid stuff'
    I remember when those plastic warriors came out in 1986, three quid for thirty at the time - wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul.
      The current range will set you back 60 quid for 30 minis. Quite a price increase.

      Delete
  5. Nice, used to have those skels

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quality skeles mate 👍🏼
    Regards 6

    ReplyDelete
  7. 69 skulls added to the pile! I did like your earlier post title, as well.

    ReplyDelete