Saturday 6 February 2021

From MartinC Chambers of Challenge, Hall of the Ancestors - Joseph Harold Cooke, RM (35pts)

 My Grandad Harold was a Royal Marine Commando during WW2. He was in 7th Battalion which was assigned to port guard duties. In September 1942 his battalion sailed for South Africa to guard the ports but weren't needed so they sailed for Egypt. Whilst in Egypt his war diary, not very complete and mainly in morse said that while in Egypt he met with a large party of Yugoslavia refugees and was taken to their camp for dinner. He said they were very nice people. I know you are interested in the morse code and we have deciphered it. it mainly says things like "18th August 1942 STOP practicing my morse code STOP weather very nice STOP"

Whilst in Egypt he caught malaria and was shipped back to England where he spent the rest of the war. He was afflicted with malaria all his life and it would occasionally be stricken down with it when I was child. He died over 25 years ago and only ever talked abou thte war once. His battalion was reassigned as 48 commando and many of his friends we assigned to other commandos. These friends took part in the Raid in St Nazaire and he lost many friends there. 48 commando was part of the special service brigade and took part in D-Day. A letter from a friend 3 days later described the loss of more friends.

My family is lucky, we exist because my Grandad got malaria, the most deadly of all diseases, otherwise there was a significant probability that he wouldn't have made it and my father wouldn't have been born after the war.

Enough reflection on if and whats and maybes. We know for a fact that he was in South Africa because of this photo


My grandad, front row centre, having his photo taken with a Zulu warrior in December 1942. I don't think he'd travelled more than 30miles from home before joining the marines

So obviously I planned to reproduce this image

The figures are Empress drivers with head swaps etc. I didn't have any unpainted Zulus but in a previous challenge the marvellous Michael Awdry gave me a wonderfully painted Zulu in a side challenge. 

I'm really delighted with this ensemble. Think my Grandad would have been, he was one of the people who took me model soldier shopping on Saturdays.

3x28mm and 20 pts and loads of nice memories











34 comments:

  1. What a brilliant and heartfelt entry, Martin. Wow. Your grandad sounds like a wonderful man, and I'm sure he would've been right chuffed to see this work you've done in his memory. Terrific work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers he was a good man, his tiny wife, my Granny obviously, was the boss. You didn't mess with her

      Delete
  2. Martin - a really touching entry, both words and images. Thankyou for the reminiscence. The idea of keeping a diary in morse seems simultaneously both entirely apt and really strange.
    My father also spent time in South Africa during the war, though he was in the RAF, and on his way to India and Burma. I can't remember whether it was as late as 42, but I think it might have been. I do know that he travelled on, of all ships, the Windrush.
    Highly unlikely that he met your Grandfather, of course, but who knows?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Noel, He was in Durban for 5 weeks, arrived on Empress of Russia and left on the Arona in late December 42. They may have met, let's say they did. Cool to have sailed on the Windrush, never thought of it as having a career previous to becoming 2nd most famous merchant ship

      Delete
  3. Wow, what a great post and an even better tribute to your Grandad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Top entry , brilliant history matey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, needed my dad and a lot of google fu

      Delete
  5. Brilliant stuff Martin and a fitting tribute.
    My Great uncle Isaac - who incidentally taught me to swim - was a Royal Marine on D-Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers, I wonder if he was part of the special service brigade

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful tribute for the Gallery of ancestors. Thanks for sharing his story with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Impressive work Martin, very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great tribute Martin - "Per Mare Per Terram"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful vignette and great story Martin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tribute Martin. Well done.
    BruceR

    ReplyDelete
  11. while the entry figures are well pa8nted, as we have come to expect from you, It's the story of your granddad that's gold to me, thanks heaps for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very interesting history and recreation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice vignette and lovely bit of personal history!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great little vignette Martin

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super figs and story, nice job 👏
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete