Saturday 6 February 2021

From NoelW: Outnumbered in the Oubliette (1159 points)

 [INTRO: This is a longish post with quite a few photos, so I’ve only given one or two photos for each item, and I’ve scored the probable points as I go along. ]

But first…

***

“Stop shoving!”

“Where are we? I can’t see a thing.”

“More to the point, who are we?”

“Well, I don’t know who you are. But I know I’m – definitely – someone.”

“Or something, judging by the smell. And you’re holding a big shiny stick.”

“I am, aren’t I? I wonder why.”

“Oy! Keep the witty conversation down, will you? There’s a legion trying to get a bit of shuteye in here.”

“There must be a way out. Stands to reason. We got in somewhere. Just find that place and reverse the process.”
“Hey! Watch where you’re treading!”

“Sorry – if only there was a light.”

“Get your foot out of my mouth!”

“Must be an elf, if it’s foot in the mouth time.”

“Who you calling an elf? You take that back this minute!”

“If we had a couple of sticks we could rub together, we could make a fire. Or at least a spark. Like a boy scout.”

“No thanks. I’ve just eaten.”

“Ok, that’s an ogre, or I’m a person who identifies as man from the Netherlands.”

“You got something against ogres?”

“No! No. Apart from my chin, that is.”

“I wish I could remember – something…”

“I think I’ve found a couple of long knotty sticks. Possibly elven legs. I could rub them together, see what happens.”

“What have we got to lose?”

“Let go of my ankles. I’ve a great deal to lose.”
There’s a grating sound, like sandpaper rubbing against grandma’s stubble. Nothing happens.

“If there was a sorceress or a cleric, they could shed some light on the situation. Even a halfling with a bright idea.”

“Unlikely.”

“Hang on. Maybe one of these sleeping people is a magician. I’ll have a look. Let me just light this torch so I can see better.”

For a moment the oubliette – for such it is – is as thick with silence as it is with darkness, a silence broken only by the snores and whimpers of thousand bodies, suddenly illuminated by the blaze of Titchy’s torch. Rows and rows of sleeping warriors.

“Ah! Tread softly, or we’ll tread on their screams.”

“There’s a lever over there, by that small wooden wall.”

“If only we had someone who could pull a lever…”

***

I thought Oubliette was a character in Disney’s Beauty and the Beast, because I’d forgotten what it actually meant. I read French as part of my degree, tutored by a very French lady called Mme Grillet (which is French for ‘grill’, which she frequently did to me). I learned one thing: that parapluie meant ‘butterfly’, so that on my very first trip to France I could declare, brightly, to demonstrate my erudition, “Voila les parapluies dans la jardin”. Highlight of my polyglottism.

At my age I forget many things but, fortunately, one of them is how many things I forget. There was a time, almost forgotten now, when I thought 10mm was the answer to every wargaming need. 10mm figures weren’t too expensive, didn’t need lots of storage, could fit on the smallest of gaming tables and enabled massive battles, yet weren’t so small they could not carry detail worth painting. I planned several massive setups: Borodino, Leipzig, ever battle in Tolkien.

Well, of course, you know what’s coming next. I acquired drawers full of 10mm figures, only to decide that 28mm was where I really wanted to be. The 10mm figures were assigned to miscellaneous receptacles, languishing for years in forgotten corners of the parallel world that is my attic.

Until last year I sorted out some of the figures for the Joshua Project, and was reminded of how much unpainted 10mm I had. These days, with my declining faculties (no comments, please) I find it hard to see the detail on 10mm, and get bored with painting them. So this time round I decided I’d do some bulk 10mm painting between working on posts for the Chambers before it's too late, and post whatever I’d managed when I reached the Oubliette, focusing on two of the unfinished projects: Borodino and fantasy.

Eh, voila!

Borodino

All Old Glory figures.

For the Russians: 90 infantry, 90 points



For the French I’m working towards nominal units to represent each of the Corps:

90 Poles (Duchy of Warsaw): V Corps (90 points)



30 Westphalian Garde-Grenadiere: VIII Corps (30 points)


(There are 9 hand painted flags in these units, but they’re such poor quality, I’m not asking any bonus for them).

TOTAL: 210 points

[So that's also 210 points for the Napoleonic Challenge, and I guess three armies gives me 3 Squirrel points.]

Tolkienic Fantasy

Most of these figures are 10mm plastic from GW's Battle of the Five Armies set, comprising humans, dwarves, elves and goblins, including wolf riders. The individual figures are from various sources, and of various sizes. 

Elf archers: 84

Elf spears: 210 


Dwarves: 210


Humans: 42

Goblins: 252


Wolfriders: 12 figures, 24 points


Unicorns (unknown manufacturer, possibly Pendraken): 3


Trolls: (The trolls and Black Riders are from Lord of the Rings Risk. The trolls are 25, whilst the Riders are really 15mm rather than 10mm, but as they’re supernatural creatures, I think they look fine and as the painting is simply black with a drybrush, I'm scoring them as 10mm):
3 x 25mm Trolls: 15 points

Black Riders: 9 cavalry: 18 points


Ghosts: (I think these are Kallistra)

9 x 20mm figures: 36 points

Sea monsters: These are from GW's old Man O' War game. I regret getting rid of the ships from this game, which were lovely models, but I did keep hold of these four monsters. The range in size from 25mm to 50mm, but I'm scoring them all as 25mm.





4 x 25mm figures: 20 points

TOTAL: 929 points
[Not sure how to compute the Squirrels here: maybe 4 for the main races, and another one for all the “Specials”?]

20 points for The Oubliette

Grand Total: (210+929+20) = 1159 points

23 comments:

  1. WTF. Wondered why you were dawdling so far down. Epic post, really love the sea monsters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta, Martin. This is probably going to be the only mega-post, I think. But at least you've now got a run for your money...

      Delete
  2. Wow, amazing output Noel. The sea monsters rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peter. Those monsters paint up very well - if only I still had the ships. Still, they can be a hazard for Black Seas, too.

      Delete
  3. I have no words... a true Stajanovist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised how many I painted, when simply doing one strip or one group between the 28mm figs I "rewarded" myself with. It added up really quickly!

      Delete
  4. Overtaken in one post! That's an insane points bomb there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Insane" is possibly more apt than you think!

      Delete
  5. Holy smokes! A tiny 10mm mega bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wowzers Noel, what a points nuke. These 10s look effective en mass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I think 10mm can reward careful, individual painting, if you've the eyes and hand for it, but their real impact is in the mass, especially for the big battle, so there's little point in highlighting etc.

      Delete
  7. AMAZING! That is a truly jaw dropping post, well done.
    I thought squirrel points were awarded per unique genre (e.g. Napoleonics, Tolkienic Fantasy), not per army? Hopefully Curt can clear this up as it would mean a drastic rethink of my painting queue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stuart.
      Good point on the definition of Squirrel points. I must admit, I'm not that clear about it, either. I think "Genre" is tougher to define than "Army", though.

      Delete
  8. I honestly thought 1159 was a typing error 😄 more than I've done in the entire Challenge in one post, this is a points ATOM Bomb 💣 😳 👏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to check the maths several times!

      Delete
  9. oh that's just typical, if he isn't humbling us with his literate ways of writing, it is with his humongous output in painted figures... enough already! No seriously awesome work Noel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sander - for the comments on writing as well as painting. Means a lot.
      It's essentially down to the inspiration of the Challenge, though - so much to admire across so many posts.

      Delete
  10. Wow,what a massive/tiny points bomb! Excellent work!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain. That's the peak of my challenge, I think - all downhill from here on.

      Delete
  11. The sea monsters are terrific!🧜🏻‍♀️ I think there is a sort of whimsical faerie tale quality to the colours you have chosen. I can only imagine the back story you will create when these figures get on the table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whimsical, moi? I can certify that I've simply copied the real colours of these creatures as I have observed them in their natural habitat.

      Delete
  12. wow epic post indeed love them

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete