Tuesday 2 February 2021

From StuartL - Naughty-cal Types for the Aquifer (55 Points)

Hello again.
Having left an offering at the Altar of the Snow Lord, I thought that I would head back through the Chambers of Challenge and finish up the ones that I had passed by on my mad descent into the lower depths. Starting from the 1st level, that left me with the goal of painting up something nautical for the Aquifer.

With that in mind, I dug out 5 pirates figures and did my best to get them all shipshape for this post.


First up we have a couple of character minis, a dangerous buccaneer and a smartly dressed captain. The captain is from Reaper minis, so he's pretty large compared to the other minis here. The buccaneer and the crew below are all from Black Scorpion Miniatures. (Note the skull on the buccaneer's belt and the skull shaped belt buckle on the captain's right shoulder). I do like the Black Scorpion minis, they have a fair amount of detail and paint up easily. Sadly BS switched over to resin a while back, which has really put me off buying more. (That's not to say anything bad about BS's minis, I just hate resin).


Of course, no pirate captain would get very far without his trusty crew. Here we have 3 scruffy looking seamen intent on loot and plunder. I have so far used the Cutlass rules from Black Scorpion for pirate related games, but they are designed for small skirmishes with only a handful of minis a side and require a few house rules to make them playable. On the plus side, they are a lot of fun and also include options for more fantastical crews should you want to use them. I'm thinking of scaling up a bit to have full sized pirate crews on the table along with some royal navy types. Due to one challenger's constant promotion of them, I am looking at maybe trying out Donnybrook as that seems to allow for slightly larger games, includes rules for muskets and the like, and I want to see what all the fuss is about.


Rather than make a separate post, I have also included a non-pirate mini here. I painted up a Necron Cryptek mini between other batches of figures, and finished it off alongside the pirates. This figure came in a big boxed set, though I think it is available by itself now. The Crypteks are the mad scientist/engineer caste among the Necron forces and often have access to strange and incomprehensible technologies. This one has attached himself via his spine to a spider-shaped, hovering roomba. I guess those old space tombs get very dusty. 


If today's minion agrees, as a 28mm figure mounted on another mini, I have scored him as a cavalry figure. The precedent has been set that Necron heads count as skullz, so I will add one to my tally. (The spider thing probably shouldn't count, right).

So, that comes to 5x28mm infantry, 1x28mm cavalry and 1 chamber bonus for a total of 55 Points.
The pirates add one Squirrel point to my tally, the Necron adds 10 to my GW duel and there are 3 skullz for that side duel.

My running Duels totals:
GW Points - 676
Skullz - 374
Squirrels - 13


Well, you managed to sneak this one in just before I logged off, so I guess I have to minion it. What a rotten crew of reprobates. No, no, no - I'm talking about this year's minions, not those nicely painted rascals of the high seas!

55 points for you to close out my shift,

Tamsin

13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'll be caught up in no time at this rate.

      Delete
  2. I do like the pirates, I’ve got a bunch (shanty?) of pirates from black scorpion and I agree with you on the old metal being nicer to work with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess resin was better for the company and their production style, but I do miss the metal figures.

      Delete
  3. Nice work Stuart - I really like that Necron thing. GW has done quite a number on the new versions of those models, haven't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are definitely pushing the sculpting and moulding technology on some of these minis.

      Delete
  4. Lovely looking pirates and necron!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fine looking Highwaymen of the Sea 👍
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete