Tuesday 23 March 2021

From MilesR: What I Did Done Paint (and Build)

 



Curt commands us to show a picture of ourselves and our work at the end of every Challenge.  If you find yourself upset after gazing at my less-than-pleasing countenance, please direct any complaints, diatribes and/or lawsuits to the Snow Lord himself.


Because this year's challenge was so terrain oriented, my output was significant in terms of volume so it was difficult to get everything into one shot.  Also, my basement is a disaster after the flood so please excuse the untidiness of the space.


Lets take a stroll across my Challenge XI production.  There was a lot of Stalingrad terrain - the lowest tub was stuff built before the challenge but the upper two have things that were made and submitted this challenge (but don't fit on my game table).  Stalingrad is my most ambitious gaming related project and, to be honest, suffered from a bit of mission creep.

Here are all of the capital ships and torpedo/destoyer squadrons that the Russians had during the Russo-Japanese War.  The RJW was a project that was started during Challenge X and now completed in XI.
On top of my "mobile troop cabinet" are the Japanese fleet from the Russo-Japanese War and a 6mm Seleucid Army.

The terrain for the southern section of the Stalingrad  board and some Russian troops - I have a few more to paint up but am confident I'll be ready to put the game on IF Historicon is held in July.  If that convention does need to be cancelled then this game will be held in the Fall and Fall-in.  Either way, I'm putting this damn game on and, as always, choice commands will be reserved for Challenge participants.

Moving down the board are a bunch of Soviet and German tanks and another Russian infantry company.

At the far end of my table are some of the generic countryside hexes I made at the end of the challenge and a rather large 6mm Republican Roman army.
A final look down the table from the other end - in the upper right you can see part of my painting bench.

Oh crap! - I forgot to put out the Parthians - they're put away in a troop drawer and I am too lazy to set them out.  I need to build about 30 or so more of these drawers which will be a project for April.

One thing that is not recommended to do during a Painting Challenge is to have a flood in your  basement from a leaky water heater.    It's surprisingly distracting and forces a capital reallocation away from sensible things like buying miniature towards the frivolous such as a new water heater, drywall and new flooring.  Despite my whining, progress has been made on the restoration:
This is how my basement looked on Feb 6th, 2021

and it looks like this now.  Probably 2-3 more days work to finish up the project.

Despite a minor distraction of the flood, I am extremely pleased at how this challenge worked out.  I was able to complete two big projects (Stalingrad and the Russo Japanese War) and add 3 6mm ancient armies.


One big variance this year - I did not paint a single 28mm figure - that's a first for me!

The distribution of my points was very concentrated this year:


3,643 points is nothing to sneeze at but it's not as high as some past Challenge efforts - I would say the level of effort put in this year was the highest I've ever mustered - making hex terrain and a bunch of custom and kit buildings can be a bit labor intensive.  I was aided in this effort by no business travel - one of the few positive aspects of a lock down.
 

Perhaps the best point of this year's challenge was ending up in a three-way tie with Martin and Noel for tops in the points category.   To be mentioned in any way in the same breath with those two gentlemen is an honor.  I am still amazed that all of us ended up with same points level - what are the odds of that happening?

I very much treasure the privilege of participating in the Painting Challenge and that is due to the wonderfully supportive community that makes it up and the hard work that Curt and my other fellow minions put in to managing this circus.  Thank you all very much.

I hope all of you enjoy a wonderful and healthy summer, get your vaccines and we all put the nightmare of covid-19 behind us.

Miles








21 comments:

  1. You appear to have painted and armed a medium sized country. Great challenge from you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Astonishing range, quantity and above all quality of work Miles - your Stalingrad project has been one of the highlights of the challenge for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very kind comment - one of the benefits of the challenge is the interaction with the other participants is very motivational - I was about to abandon the Stalingrad project in early December but you all kept me going - thanks

      Delete
  3. I am in awe of your building, crafting and modelling skills (I've heard you had a stint on the catwalk!), Miles. It's an honour to be rubbing shoulders with you in the Challenge - your Stalingrad project is totally inspirational - and the three way competition between you, me and Martin is always great fun and a great motivator. Already looking forward to next December!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Noel - I hope to meet you in person one day when my monthly UK trips resume

      Delete
  4. Scenery can take a long time, but it must be very satisfying to have done so much. Excellent work on the 1:1 scale renovations too! It is amazing how much you get done each challenge and really great that you put so much effort into preparing and running games for the enjoyment of other players. Well done Miles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was a kid, my dream career was to be a ring master in a circus. GM'ng large convention games is a close to it as I'll get and it's a fun challenge to get a group of people who don't know each other interacting with a game. I really get a blast out of it when it works

      Delete
  5. Very happy to see the title of this post Miles, I can’t tell you how many times I ask my self “what on earth has Miles done?”

    Astounding level of painting Miles. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife asks that question a lot too - almost universally with a negative tone

      Delete
  6. Amazing work Miles. Your Stalingrad project is astounding. I like your term 'mission creep' as it fits with so many of our hobby projects, but your 'creep' is a whole different level of magnitude from the rest of us. :) Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not so sure the line "but your "creep" is a whole different level of magnitude"

      I guess that's a good thing....

      Delete
  7. A brutally impressive quantity of quality as ever Miles - great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul, it was a fun challenge but I do think the days of 4k/challenge are well behind me

      Delete
  8. A cracking effort considering your small water leak?

    ReplyDelete
  9. We were lucky and caught it pretty early - only a handful of minis were lost. The water got to within a foot of my troop cabinet. Its Ikea pressed wood which would have soaked the water up like a sponge and maybe even collapse. Im being a "bit" over dramatic but at least the Boss is very happy with the new flooring and other repairs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very impressive output and the Stalingrad project was ace! You have my sympathy with the flood, we had the same about a year ago in the living room, still gave me something to do in lockdown!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks - my wife really wanted to redo a lot of the house anyway and the flood kind of accelerated that project. After the year she's had treating covid patients she pretty much gets anything she wants so a few (maybe a lot) of 1:1 scale projects are in my future

      Delete
  11. Astounding output as always. I do hope to see/fame that Stalingrad project in person sometime. Best wishes for the spring

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. It looks like Stalingrad will make it's debut now at Fall-In this Nov'21, which just provides more time to refine it. I always reserve choice commands for Challenge participants! You may also see the table in a future LWTV video.

      Delete
  12. What an awesome output yet again Miles! Oh and thanks for everything this Challenge, your help and keeping track of the numbers. Can't wait to see your final calculations post!

    Cheers Sander

    ReplyDelete