Friday 31 December 2021

ByronM - Pointy Ear Pansy Space Elves - Warhammer 40k in 15mm

Normally I like getting an entry in the first day of the annual Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge, but this year I have been laid up sick for almost 2 weeks and haven't been able to focus enough to paint at all, so here is is over a week after the start of the event, my first entry.


Recently a group of friends here have started playing Warhammer 40k (old 5th edition since the newer versions SUCK BALLS) in 15mm true scale, and of course I had to join in!  Being true scale means that everything is sized to the lore, rather than to what GW had sized things.  This means Imperial Guard stand about 18mm tall (or real 15mm scale), while things like Eldar and Space Marines stand 22-24mm tall (20mm scale) since in the lore Eldar are 7' tall but have huge poncy helmets and Space Marines are 8" tall.  This scaling makes everything look so much better on the table as it makes more sense and looks better.  Also being 15mm fixes (or minimizes) so many of the issues in 40k being 28mm scale, like having lots of HUGE tanks on a table, ranges being ridiculously short and more.  It's still 40k at its core, so it's still not perfect, but it is better!


That said, the armies we play with are therefore mostly 20mm scale even though we call it 40k in 15mm.  The Falcon and Wave Serpent here are almost 5" x 4" so pretty damn big for what we would call 15mm scale.


Most of the models here though are actually 6mm STL files from Lord Chronos on Cults and are meant for use in Epic Armageddon.  As you can tell from these prints though, the guy is a genius sculptor and there is more than enough detail on the models to stand up when scaled up 260% to be about 20mm scale! 


The few models I could not find for my force were the Warlocks and Farseer models!  This would be a problem for most people but I have a friend that is a great sculptor and an even more helpful person which I asked for some help. He had me buy some files that had eldar helmets and weapons in 28mm per-sculpted and then bodged them up and modelled them onto some bodies and cloaks for me in like 2 days!!!  Thanks a ton, amazing work!!!  Before you ask though, no the warlock files are not for sale they were for personal use, and his name is not listed here as he wants nothing to do with GW and their insane legal team! 

These are the first batch in what will hopefully be a 2000 point Eldar army within the next few weeks.  I have been jonesing to paint these for over a month, but wanted to leave them for the painting challenge to start... so here they now are!  Much more to come...

I am sticking with traditional aspect colour schemes for these, but since the Eldar are space elves and therefore a bit light in the loafers, I needed a kinda pansy colour for the transports, so I came up with a kinda pale blue green that I think is almost the colour of corroded copper.  I think it works well, but had no idea how to actually highlight anything on it, luckily it looks ok as is I think.  I just need some magnets to come in so I can attach them to the flight stands and have them off the ground as they should be.

This entry should also count towards my "Squirrel Challenge" and as the first planet on the challenge map Vulcan where I have to paint something either logical or with pointy ears.  Eldar seemed to fit the bill, so I used them. 

The vehicles should each count for 15 points (30 total) and then the 10 Dire Avengers and 7 Farseer/Warlocks each count for 4 points (68 total) and 20 points for completing the Vulcan planet challenge for a grand total of 118 points!  Not a bad start!

_________________________________

I've been looking forward to seeing this project come to life, ever since you mentioned it a few months ago. They look great, Byron, and I really enjoy the whole contrarian, not-GW aspect of the whole endeavour. I also enjoy the project's ancillary objective of having all the various factions to be in 'true scale' to one another, as per the 40K fluff. The other bonus, as you mention, is that the ground scale and weapon ranges look a bit more believable (if you can say such a thing with 40K), so it's possible to have a few large vehicle on the table without the whole thing looking ridiculous.

Wonderful work Byron! I look forward to seeing more of this project over the coming months!

- Curt 

27 comments:

  1. They are nice Eldar, I must say. And I fully agree you with the true scale. WH40K in 28mm (or 32mm) or whatever just drives me mad sometimes, when I try to find any logic (internal or real-life) from it. Troopers, vehicles and scenery are all in different scale (but true LOS is still used), the ranges are nonsense and so on, you know. And best way to kill an enemy is to use a lascannon (as a club, of course). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, right? Luckily we ignore most of the GW cover rules and just play with what makes sense (old v2/v3 cover rules). We are also playing it using Bolt Action type activation where its random order, which makes it even better!

      Delete
  2. Nice idea 40k in 15mm, look forward to seeing it grow
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a pretty large online following for 40k in 15mm, lots of FB groups out there, so its not just our little group here doing it.

      Delete
  3. Nice work Byron, I do like the Turquoise colour you used on the ship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, yeah it works. Still deciding on the gems on the ships, might paint them as gems to add more details to them, but it might just make them look too gaudy, so left them for now.

      Delete
  4. What a good idea and a cracking project - lovely painting and I shall follow with interest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was personally trying to get the local group to go even smaller (like 10mm or 6mm) but even at 15mm it is way better than full scale 40k, which now is pretty much 40mm+ scale with all the creep that GW has done over the years!

      Delete
  5. 40k is like COVID, it keeps mutating into new strains. No idea why these exist, but these are lovely Byron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, they exist because people LOVE the lore for the Grim Dark Future that is 40k. Even if GW never did a game, they would have had a huge fan following for the amazing fiction they produce. Now, if only the games were as good as the storylines!

      Delete
  6. Love the colour of the transport- I agree, I think it looks good as is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely looking Eldar,whatever the size! I'm one of those who likes the background, not so much the games/GW marketing plans!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear you’ve not been feeling well. Good to hear you’re on the mend and finding your painting stride again. You’re definitely on track - these look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wild and clever project Byron - very interesting, and fun to see. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever get the bug Greg, we have files for pretty much every army :-D just saying :-D

      Delete
  10. So cool Byron! I thought they were 28mm at first glance!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hopefully you will be feeling a lot better soon Byron, these figures are great and Arthur and myself use a lot of old or house rules too. The rpesent day GW rules are way too intense...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great stuff and all the best

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks great! I love that 3D printing has allowed wargamers to now extend into 'scale conversion'.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the appropriate scaling!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cool seeing Eldar in this smaller scale. I remember fielding mechanized Eldar. The tanks covered so much of the table. This scale is more visually accurate for the tanks and weapons.

    ReplyDelete