Friday 31 December 2021

From JamieM - Mantic Deadzone Nameless (Klendathu 96 points)

Hello to my fellow challengers! It’s great to be back and seeing all of your diligent output so far and I’m pleased to present my first post.

Stop me if this sounds familiar….. a Kickstarter appears that looks great….. excitement builds….. you go all in with your mates as it looks like such a great game……. And then, when it’s delivered 6-12 months later; you’ve moved onto other games and you don’t get around to playing the Kickstarter game.

Well, that’s what happened with us and Deadzone from Mantic games. The internet tells me that the game was kickstarted in early 2014 and delivered in 2015. Yikes.

Anyway, cue lots of figures being shifted around various shelves of holding until I saw that Mantic were giving away digital copies of version 3 of the rules with a wargaming magazine. Deciding this was all the motivation that I needed, I swooped in and picked them up, found the old miniatures and set to work seeing if the game was any good.

Despite all that intro, these chaps were purchased a month or so ago to give me another crew as only had one and I painted it before the AHPC started. I justified this latest purchase on the basis of “I’m only investing so that I can use the things I’ve already bought”. Good money after bad, anyone?

But onto the figures!

The Nameless seem to be a pretty standard alien race in the Mantic universe. Normally peaceful, but with some fringe elements who think humanity should be destroyed.

There are a variety of sizes to the creatures and these are the little ankle biters.


These are the bigger, scarier ones. Chap in the middle is the boss (the “Spawn”) and the ones flanking him are tough as nails close combat fighters.

I used a variety of techniques including contrast paints, sponging, highlighting, etc. to get different textures on the natural surfaces and plumped for silver armour as I thought they fitted a 70’s TV alien invasion sort of vibe.

These are one each of the human sized models. Andy the assassin, Colin the Squibbly, Jonny longshot and two pistol Pete.

I thought they fitted the “bug hunt” theme pretty well, so I make it 11x 28mm figures, 3x 40mm figures and a planetary bonus for 86 points in total?

___________________________________

First, welcome back to the Challenge, Jamie!

Yes! I've totally been there with Kickstarter buy-ins, several times I'm ashamed to say. The most recent has been Solomon Kane and Ankh. The boxes were endless and I just did the starter pledge, honest!

Anyway, enough of that, these minis look brilliant. I especially like that nasty green you have for their chitinous carapace armour - it looks so suitably...angry alien. I also think your groundwork is very on-point, setting the colours of the minis nicely. The only thing that is slightly off is your scoring, as you've jilted yourself 10 this group (corrected for the sheet). :)

But where is the Moonstone stuff you told me of? Or are you waiting on that Kickstarter as well?

- Curt

26 comments:

  1. So, what I’m getting from your post is I need to stay far away from Kickstarter!
    These figures are fantastic. I really like the silver armour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, kickstarter is a whole new way for those of us with very limited hobby willpower to be parted with our money…..

      Delete
  2. Great stuff Jamie. Two-Pistol Pete FTW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whilst not the official names given by Mantic, I like to think they’re the nicknames they’re opponents in the front lines might hang on them :)

      Delete
  3. Very cool mate. That crusty green colour is a cracker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - the sponging really worked and the castings were nice and bumpy which helped.

      Delete
  4. Cool colors, nice backstory and I like how the bases contrast with the minis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - a little bit of ready mixed filler works wonders for broken concrete!

      Delete
  5. A really cool paintscheme Jamie, cheers Sander

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta, I tried to keep it fairly natural to contrast the purple tentacle horror parts

      Delete
  6. Sounds very familiar, for me though a sucker for 3d printing ….and do not even own one!

    Great work on those and 8 years is not too bad!

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work Jamie. I had a good chuckle over the Kickstarter story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the mottled carapace on the two large creatures; wonderful natural looking shell-like effect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That’s a cool shade of green!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That’s a cool shade of green!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Strange looking beasties! Great brushwork Jamie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic looking figures and paint work !

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great looking figures, lovely finish and an entirely relatable story!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice work! Cool seeing more of these hybrid board and miniatures games.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice work! Cool seeing more of these hybrid board and miniatures games.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice work! Cool seeing more of these hybrid board and miniatures games.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice work! Cool seeing more of these hybrid board and miniatures games.

    ReplyDelete