Friday 31 December 2021

Ready From RayR - Vulcan : Prince Rupert & Boy (20 pts)

 



Believe it or not I have been very busy with the brush since the start of the Challenge, but like the twat I am, I started too many things at once, so I've not got a lot finished....Sigh!


Vulcan: Something Logical; Pointy Ears

I suspect as most of you know, I don't do a lot of fantasy of Sci Fi, but do have a small collection of figures just for the Challenge, BUT, I thought I'd go a bit left field. 

My first entry into Challenge 12 is a 25mm Bicorne figure representing King Charles' nephew Prince Rupert and his dog Boy. I've got a crazy yearning to do a small (yeah right) ECW army for Donnybrook, based on one of the smaller skirmishes that Rupert was involved in. So I thought I'd start with the main man himself. Whether or not anything else gets painted is another story.

Prince Rupert didn't have pointy ears, nor did his Poodle Boy, but his horse sure did!



Just look at them ears!!! Pointy or what????


So there we have it, and I managed to get this post in before the end of the year too.

10 points for the mounted Prince Rupert
2 points for Boy?
20 Bonus points for Vulcan

Total of 32 points!

___________________________________

The words 'Donnybrook' and 'small army' should twig those who know Ray to what's to come. Great work Ray! I like how you think, with starting with the Man himself. Bicorne has done a nice job on Ropert here - he looks suitably commanding and hirsute and your brushwork does him great credit. But I have to say that the sculpt for 'Boye' is pretty lame. He was a standard sized poodle, meaning he was a pretty big dog. The designer must be a Parliamentarian sympathiser. 

And 20 points for the horses ears? Riiiight. I should have expected no less from you Ray. I tell you what I'll give you 10 for both Boye and the 'pointy ears'.

In some respects this is going to be a long three months, I can tell. :)

- Curt

33 comments:

  1. lovely work on the infamous Rupert. Pointy ears is an epic stretch though. I expect whole armies to the point where you need to rewrit Donnybrook

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delightful! I like seeing you push the limits with Curt - entertaining indeed. I quite like your pointy eared horse and doggo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natasha, I like to keep Curt on his toes!

      Delete
  3. Nice work on Rupert and his animal friends Ray. Already using the "D" word...
    And pointy eats, well at least you didn't clam one of the animals was female.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love those pointy ears even though I understand some people don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He asked for pointy ears, so I gave him pointy ears and was ruthlessly punished and on my first post too!

      Delete
  5. oops, that scuppers my plan for pointy ears !. Better search thru my strategic reserve of miniatures for something more legitimate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great, looking forward to you doing some mid seventeenth century figures for a change, nice work the diabolical prince and his familiar!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. “But like the twat I am”….ah Ray, what would a painting Challenge be without your wit? Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You gotta laugh at yourself first Greg, no point doing it any other way.

      Delete
  8. My favourite personality of the war! Love what you've done with him. Long may Boye bite puritan ankles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reading a great book about him at the moment, lots of inspiration!

      Delete
  9. Great to see you back in the Great Game Ray and with such a loverly duo at that!

    Cheers Sander

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great stuff Ray, like him a lot!

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  11. Smash work on this classic figure Ray, I'm going to pop upstairs and check the horse on my version for pointy ears !

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  12. Must have been confusing, having a dog called Boy.

    You do enjoy vexing the Snowlord!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm surprised you didn't paint a bear and claim it has pointy ears!

    Nice painting of the original "Rupert" and his dog, Boye. :)

    ReplyDelete